Thursday 16 August 2018

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Pumlumon


03.06.18  Allt y Derw (SN 873 834) and Fuches (SN 866 836)

Fuches (SN 866 836)

When leaving home the sky had rolled in a smooth light grey, down and across near hill tops, although a sign of summer lightness when delicate mist formations follow high hill valleys, it still gave a feeling of oppression and I hoped that clearer conditions could be found further west.

Thankfully patches of blue appeared as I drove past Llanidloes and nearing my destination the hills I wanted to visit were clear of mist, with their higher neighbours still bathed in summer clag.

I’d visited Allt y Derw and Fuches in November 2003 and surveyed from the connecting bwlch eastward to where the 449m spot height appears on the ground and concluded that the summit of Allt y Derw was approximately 3ft higher than this point giving a 99ft / 30.3m drop value, and that Allt y Derw and Fuches were about equal in height, concluding that each should be listed as P30s and included in what is now the Y Pedwarau, with Fuches the prioritised higher hill based on its larger 450m uppermost contour ring.

Over recent times the status of Fuches has changed due to LIDAR analysis, and this was then questioned as the summit position produced by LIDAR did not match that from on-site visits.  As each hill is similar in height, which was higher also affected their respective bwlch positions and drop values.  My intention today was to survey both hills and try my utmost to clarify the situation.

I approached from the south-east having left my car at the start of a wide track just off the narrow lane that makes its way across these hill ridges.  As I gained height the forested summit of Fuches came in to view with slight signs of sunlight striking its slopes and having a deep grey sky above.

The first hint of sunlight on the forested slopes of Fuches

The high point of Allt y Derw was easily identified and consists of grass beside a fence; I set the Trimble atop my rucksack, measured the offset between its internal antenna and the ground below and waited for 12 minutes of data to be gathered.

Gathering data at the summit of Allt y Derw

Once the Trimble was packed away I continued toward Fuches and the connecting bwlch between these two hills.  Arriving at the bwlch the sun had burnt off any lingering mist and the land became bathed in clearer heat compared to the mugginess of my ascent.

The critical point of the bwlch lay close to a fence and adjacent to the large conifer plantation that swamps the whole of Fuches, and another 12 minutes of data were gathered.

Gathering data at the critical bwlch of Fuches

When I visited these hills in 2003 I found a narrow path through the conifers that led up the north-eastern ridge of Fuches to its high point, this is now a relatively wide track used by trail riders and accessed from a forest track, and as I headed from the connecting bwlch toward this track a mountain biker appeared, we stopped and chatted, David Hirst lived locally and kindly confirmed the access point for the upward track.

David Hirst

The track led up as a ribbon of bedrock against the greened sides of moss and wooded growth with overbearing and regimented conifer trees either side.  When reaching the summit area I paced 12 metres between what I judged to be two potential high points for the track, with ground between each being relatively flat.  I chose which I judged to be the higher and set the Trimble up.

The track leading to the high point of Fuches

Before activating the Trimble I took a series of measurement offsets as the track had been gauged out of the hill to the bedrock and ground either side was slightly higher, with that on the south-easterly side looking the higher.

Once the Trimble was activated I expected a long wait until it achieved its 0.1m accuracy level before data should be logged, however this magical figure appeared on the screen within about 15 minutes and I quickly pressed ‘Log’ and scampered back down the track and waited for data to be gathered.

I wanted a minimum ten minute data set from the summit of Fuches and as long as the Trimble did not screech, which is a sign that the accuracy is not being attained, I thought a longer data set was achievable, and eventually closed the equipment down after 28 minutes of data collection.

The Trimble set-up position at the summit of Fuches

During this wait I stood on the track, listened for any rogue trail bikers and let my mind wander to all manner of things and places.  I’ve found this waiting time can be a thought provoking process when one’s mind can either drift or be concentrated on matters at hand; it is a time to be savoured and appreciated, although I also have to admit that there is a time limit to such waits where the balance of appreciation is tipped to when boredom sets in.

Once data were stored and after taking a few photos and packing the Trimble away I retraced my inward route back to my car.  The next hill would tip me over to when boredom set in as I waited on its summit for nearly 90 minutes, it was another hill whose summit position and current status needed checking against data produced via LIDAR analysis, the name of the hill is Fynach Fawr.

       

Survey Result:


Allt y Derw

Summit Height:  450.0m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SN 87314 83429

Bwlch Height:  375.7m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SN 86409 83857 (LIDAR)

Drop:  74.3m (Trimble summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  16.51%




Fuches

Summit Height:  449.3m (converted to OSGM15) (significant height revision)

Summit Grid Reference:  SN 86623 83656

Bwlch Height:  419.1m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SN 86997 83837


Dominance:  6.71%







No comments: