Friday 4 May 2018

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Y Berwyn


05.04.18  Bryn (SJ 085 168) and Ffridd Top Llety (SJ 089 167)

Ffridd Top Lletty (SJ 089 167)

I’m writing this as the rain teems down and the sky is a leaden grey, such a contrast to a few mornings ago when the sky radiated blue and spring warmth rejuvenated the land.

This walk was prompted by an email from Charlie Leventon who had recently visited this hill, and wondered about its high point and name.  These queries relate to the hill being given twin 347m map heighted tops, with one of these spot heights appearing on the Ordnance Survey Interactive Coverage Map hosted on the Geograph website. 

The hill is currently listed as Bryn both in the original Welsh 300m P30 list that appears on Geoff Crowder’s v-g.me website and also in the Tumps, with the latter data originating from the former.  However, although the word Bryn appears near this hill’s summit, map position indicates that it is more applicable to an old farmstead and not necessarily to the hill itself.

Prior to the walk I consulted the Tithe map as the land where these two tops are positioned is bounded, and at the time of the Tithe the land where the westerly top is situated was known as Cae Mawr and the land where the easterly top is situated was known as Cefnydd.  I had also analysed these tops via LIDAR and the easterly was shown as higher, if confirmed by the Trimble this would mean a relocation of the current prioritised summit.

With an 11.00am appointment in Welshpool and four surveys and hopefully place-name enquiries to make I needed an early start, and by 7.20am I was standing in a dew laden and slightly frosted field waiting for the Trimble to gather its allotted five minutes of data.  As the Trimble beeped away collecting its 300 datum points the sun edged its way over the hill ridge to my east and shone through branches still not budded.  This field and the point where the Trimble was positioned is the critical bwlch for the higher of the two tops and I had fun getting here as I drove up what I thought was the correct minor lane leading toward the bwlch, only to end up on a narrow concrete track with grass in the middle and ditches either side awash with water and mud that led to a closed gate and who knows what beyond, thankfully I extricated myself from what may have been a difficult situation for my car.

Gathering data at the bwlch of Ffridd Top Llety

The Trimble set-up position at the bwlch of Ffridd Top Llety

Once five minutes of data were stored I closed the Trimble down, packed it away and walked back to my car which was parked beside the drive / track entrance to Cefnllwyni, an old farm where I had parked a couple of years ago when surveying the hill to the west.

Next stop was the small car park in Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa, it was 7.45am by the time I set off walking up the track leading to the westerly of the two tops and I wondered if I had sufficient time for all the surveys I wanted to conduct.

Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa

New born lambs were shielded by proud mother’s as I made progress uphill, blue blazed overhead from a radiant sky and the motorised chugging of a tractor in a near farmyard was the only sound that interrupted an otherwise peaceful land.

Not very old and being shielded by its mother

I find a beauty in the simplicity of surveying, it affords time to stand and think, it also gives time for well-earned rests, and this morning as the Trimble gathered its data from the high point of the westerly top I stood and savoured the view with the high Aran and the Berwyn ridges floating above the greened and browned intervening land, nothing seemed to stir except for the distancing of the sound of the tractor and the movement of sheep and new born lambs.

Gathering data at the summit of Bryn

The enclosed field on the left is nowadays known as Bryn

It wasn’t far to the easterly top and I walked over the connecting bwlch between each on my way, this I would survey on my return.  The LIDAR grid reference for the summit led me to its high point and soon the Trimble was positioned atop my rucksack gathering data.

Gathering data at the summit of Ffridd Top Llety

As data were gathered I headed down to the corner of the field to take photographs and soak in the scene were green met blue and all slumbered under an early morning that proved positively blissful.

The enclosed field on the right is nowadays known as Ffridd Top Llety

Once five minutes of data were gathered I closed the Trimble down and took more photos, the snow-capped and frosted ridge of the Berwyn to the north proved a welcome addition, adding perspective with height and distance to an otherwise greened landscape.

The high Berwyn

Just one survey remained and that was the connecting bwlch between these two tops, again the ten figure grid reference produced by LIDAR led me to the correct position and within a few minutes the Trimble was set-up gathering its customary five minutes of data.

Gthering data at the bwlch of Bryn

As I retraced my way back over the summit of the westerly top and then down its slopes I heard a quad bike whizzing around the near farmyard, I hoped it would not disappear down the road as I now wanted to make place-name enquiries with the local farmer.  Thankfully as I neared the gate giving access around the side of the village school to the car park, two quad bikes headed my way, I flagged for them to stop.

After explaining my interest in upland place-names, the farmer; Martin Davies kindly gave me ten minutes of his time as he and his colleague were heading up the track to retrieve a new born dead lamb.

Martin Davies

Martin gave me many field names which will be documented in a forthcoming post, with the two relating to the tops I had visited being; Bryn for the westerly summit and Ffridd Top Llety for the easterly summit.  Both names directly relate to buildings and both names are different to what these bounded fields were known as in the time of the Tithe, however one field name remained the same, this was the field where we were standing and Martin said its name is Cae Llan, and this when examined on the Tithe is recorded as Cae y Llan. 

Names change as indeed do known summit heights, but occasionally some remain the same.  Martin had now clarified the name of the bounded land where each summit is positioned and processing the data will probably confirm what LIDAR has already established as far as what summit is higher. 



Survey Result:


Bryn

Summit Height:  346.4m (converted to OSGM15) (confirmed as lower than Ffridd Top Llety)

Summit Grid Reference:  SJ 08501 16870

Bwlch Height:  334.3m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SJ 08858 16808

Drop:  12.1m

Dominance:  3.49%





Ffridd Top Lletty (significant name change)

Summit Height:  346.6m (converted to OSGM15) (summit relocation and confirmed as higher than Bryn)

Summit Grid Reference:  SJ 08997 16748

Bwlch Height:  276.9m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SJ 10314 17448

Drop:  69.6m

Dominance:  20.09%






No comments: