Monday 25 February 2019

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Yr Wyddfa


18.10.18  Dinas Emrys (SH 606 492) and Panelau (SH 613 501)  

Dinas Emrys (SH 606 492)

Early autumnal mornings are special times amongst the hills as the chilled night air can create delicate mist formations which ebb and rise, slowly dissipating as the glow of sun increases the day’s warmth.

On my way toward the two hills I planned on visiting, I stopped my car and watched such a mist formation as it meandered its way over Llyn y Gadair, as the great bulk of Moel Hebog and its adjacent peaks acted as backdrop on this beautiful scene.

Llyn y Gadair and the great bulk of Moel Hebog

To the south the oranged hue of early morning cast out across the northern Rhinogydd, whilst ethereal wisps of mist edged their way across the expanse of foreground water.  All seemed still, only the mist slowly moved.

This scene heralded a good day ahead, and so it proved as autumnal colour mingled with morning light and distinctive and craggy tops to give me a wonderful few hours on the hill.

My first hill was Dinas Emrys, legendary place of dragons and which has association with Myrddin Emrys, the gifted youngster also known as Merlin.  I’d driven past this hill on many occasions but to my knowledge had never visited its summit, although my brother told me we once did, I have no recollection of this.

I approached from the tranquil surrounds of Craflwyn, this house is now a traditional hotel, having once been a hunting lodge and its laid out walks through Coed Craflwyn are recommended.

The path I opted for led past the dragon seat and trees moss strewn and green with quietly falling small waterfalls adding movement to an otherwise still scene.  It was beautifully tranquil in the wooded surrounds.

Coed Craflwyn

The path led toward Dinas Emrys whose wooded upper slopes still cast green as the last colour of summer clung on against the browned bracken and first colour change of autumn.

In front of me the cragged slopes of Panelau headed steeply upward and were accentuated against the low lying and gentler wooded slopes of Dinas Emrys, both at contrast and yet eloquently nested against one another.

The cragged and steep slopes of Panelau

Sun glimmered through the canopy as I followed the path toward the summit of Dinas Emrys, with the last of the morning’s mist just clinging on as blue skies dominated the scene with Moe Siabod rising as backdrop.

The summit of Dinas Emrys consists of a large rock and once I had aligned the Trimble with its highest point I stood back as it gathered its allotted data.  To my south-west Moel Hebog rose with sun and cloud casting light and shade upon its great bulk.

Moel Hebog from the summit of Dinas Emrys

It was wonderful to be on such a summit as Dinas Emrys, with stillness and sun and without a care.  Almost all I wanted was here with me.

Gathering data at the summit of Dinas Emrys

Once data were stored I packed the Trimble away and retraced my inward route back out of the woodland to a greened track leading up to an old abandoned mine.  This track gave access to the western slopes of Panelau, which abound with crags and ridges, all steep and looking decidedly rough.

I made steady progress up this rough ground looking back occasionally as Dinas Emrys sprang wooded out of a foreground of autumnal moor grass, whose beige tinged edges contrasted with the woodland below and the cultivated and reclaimed green pastures nestled at the foot of Nantgwynant.

Dinas Emrys from the ascent of Panelau

Reaching the summit I balanced the Trimble aligned with its high point and waited for the allotted data to be gathered and stored, and whilst doing so watched the play of light leading toward the darkened profile of Y Lliwedd that dominated the scene, with Yr Wyddfa almost an inconsequential elevated peak from this viewpoint.

Y Lliwedd
Gathering data at the summit of Panelau
Once summit data were stored I followed a wall down to the connecting bwlch where I again set the Trimble up to gather data.  Having taken this third data set of the day I packed the equipment away and followed another wall down toward the Afon y Cwm and the inward track I had used to access this hill’s western slopes.

On my walk back to Craflwyn and my awaiting car I called in at Hafod-y-porth and spoke with Bethan Roberts.  We stood at the front of her house and chatted about the hill I had just been up, this dominated the view, rising steeply above the farm with its cragged expanse almost hovering above in the late morning’s sun. 

Outside Hafod-y-porth with Bethan Roberts

After thanking Bethan for her time it was only a short walk down the connecting lane to the main road below, which in time took me back to Craflwyn.  A wonderful way to spend a morning.  



Survey Result:



Dinas Emrys

Summit Height:  135.6m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 60666 49242 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  96.5m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 60774 49401 (LIDAR)

Drop:  39.1m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  28.86% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)






Summit Height:  337.6m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 61301 50197

Bwlch Height:  287.2m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 61341 50439

Drop:  50.4m

Dominance:  14.94%












No comments: