Wednesday 14 August 2019

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Axe Edge


03.07.19  Chelmorton Low (SK 114 706)

Chelmorton Low (SK 114 706) from the north north-west

Having spent six days in sunny Sheffield it was time to leave, and with the weather set fine I wanted to visit one or two hills near Buxton in the Peak District on my way home, and Chelmorton Low was ideal as the Hill Bagging website reported that as the hill’s two summit tumuli were of similar height its summit position was under debate and having the Trimble would, in all likelihood separate these two positions in height.

Before visiting the summit I headed for its connecting col, which is positioned in a field to the south.  A conveniently placed track gave sufficient space for me to park and I accessed the field where the col is placed from the minor road using two gate entrances and proceeded to examine the lay of land.  Having chosen the spot for Trimble placement I sat in long grass close to the adjoining wall next to the minor road listening to tractors slowly chug their way past as the Trimble gathered its customary five minutes of data.

Gathering data at the col of Chelmorton Low

Once the equipment was packed away it was only a short drive to the small community of Chelmorton which is positioned directly under the hill to its south.  Increasing warmth met me as I slowly plodded up the last remnants of paved road past the pub toward the public footpath which gives access to the upper part of the hill, which rose steeply ahead.

Chelmorton Low from the south

I love a good sign, and this one caught my eye as I walked up the road in Chelmorton

The public footpath between the road and open hillside

As I made my way up the steep grassed slopes I looked down at a myriad of flowers with their blues, yellows and purples adding delicate detail to the scene.  A collapsed wall directed me to the first tumulus, between this and the easterly tumulus were three cows who looked on and soon frisked away as I started assessing the lay of land for the first Trimble set-up position.

Two positions on the westerly of the two tumuli seemed of similar height and as I stood in the sunshine looking out on what I’d decided would be my next hill; Hind Low, the Trimble beeped away gathering the first data set of the day.

Gathering data at the westerly tumulus

Once data were stored I repositioned the equipment on the second point which vied for the high point of the westerly tumulus and watched as a small herd of cows appeared and edged nearer to the surveying proceedings being conducted in their field, only to frisk away as I stood back from the Trimble as it started to gather data.

The easterly tumulus was only a short distance away and once on its top there was only one position that needed Trimbling.  Again as data were gathered I stood back, noted all relevant detail in a note book and luxuriated myself in the warmth of the day.

Gathering data at the easterly tumulus

Once the last summit data were gathered and stored all that remained was to retrace my inward route back to my awaiting car, down beside the collapsed wall and the steep grassed slopes back on to the public footpath and past the pub whose adjoining garden was now full of people relaxing in the sun with drinks and food; next stop Hind Low.

LIDAR summit image of Chelmorton Low

LIDAR col image of Chelmorton Low

Postscript:  Since the survey of this hill, the LIDAR (Light Detection & Ranging) technique is being used to produce accurate height and position for hills.  Subsequently this hill has been analysed via this technique, and it is the col result for this hill that is being prioritised in preference to that produced by the Trimble GeoXH 6000.



Survey Result:



Chelmorton Low

Summit Height:  445.4m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SK 11432 70636 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Col Height:  384.7m (LIDAR)

Col Grid Reference:  SK 11890 69667 (LIDAR)

Drop:  60.7m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR col)

Dominance:  13.62% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR col)








No comments: