Tuesday 23 October 2018

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Mynydd Sylen


31.07.18  Lan (SN 441 196)

Lan (SN 441 196)

Lan is a relatively small heighted hill and yet its summit stands out from adjacent hills as a distinct rising grassed dome, which looks welcoming to visit. 

I drove up the concrete road to Hendy farm hoping to gain permission to use the track that leads from here toward the summit of the hill.  I noticed a patio door open as I knocked on the front door and therefore called out a ‘hello’, echoing back came another ‘hello’, which I then repeated and received another ‘hello’ in response.  Within a few minutes I’d had another lovely conversation with a local farmer who I asked if he had a name for the hill, he replied that ‘they’re all known by Welsh names here’, which made me smile, having been given permission to use the track I thanked him and headed toward the summit.

The track steadily gained height and soon led toward the high point of the hill where I was met with expansive views, the high point of the grassed dome was relatively easy to find even without the guidance of a ten figure grid reference from LIDAR analysis.

Gathering data at the summit of Lan

I find the time spent whilst the Trimble gathers data to be one partly based on contemplation, partly one based on scribbling down all necessary details, and one partly based on savouring the view, and this hill really did deliver as far as views are concerned, I stood and savoured the position I found myself in for a number of minutes even after the Trimble had gathered its allotted data and the equipment was closed down.

Looking east from the summit of Lan

Once I’d packed the Trimble away I happily plodded back down the track to the farm, arriving at my car I waved my thanks and headed toward the next hill of the day; Parc y Fedwen (SN 460 196).  



Survey Result:



Summit Height:  115.5m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SN 44107 19652

Bwlch Height:  37.0m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SN 44956 19487 (LIDAR)

Drop:  78.5m (Trimble summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  67.97% (Trimble summit and LIDAR bwlch)







No comments: