Thursday 20 December 2018

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Glyder Fawr


02.10.18  Boncan Fawr (SH 550 666)  

The summit of Boncan Fawr (SH 550 666)

I’d previously visited this hill in May 2004 when it was still listed as Bryn Ty-mawr; a name I’d invented when the original Welsh P30 lists were published on Geoff Crowder’s v-g.me website.  I have little memory of it, but my visit was one of many during that day as I roamed around this part of Wales bagging hills.  Today I was heading toward Ysbyty Gwynedd to visit my brother and this hill and a survey of its summit fitted in nicely on the way to the hospital, and hopefully doing so before the forecast rains set in late afternoon.

I also wanted to make place-name enquiries as an invented name given a hill by a list author is never the best of things, therefore before visiting the hill I called at Ty-mawr; the farm to the immediate south-east of the summit.  I was met by Jane who told me that the land where the summit of this hill is situated is no longer a part of Ty-mawr and it is now worked by Fachell, a farm back down the road and to the west of the hill.  Unfortunately Jane did not know an individual name for the hill.

Before visiting Fachell I headed for the summit, this proved a simple affair across a field, through a gate and up the adjacent field to the summit.  Today the higher Eryri hills were cloud encrusted as grey skies were pushed inland from the west, but the feel of openness was still present even with the gathering banks of cloud.

The summit of this hill comprises a raised circular mound with its high point toward the south-west periphery of this.  Once the Trimble was set up gathering data I stood back and savoured the view and looked out on to the grey skies as seasonal change brought a slight cooling of air and the first signs of autumnal colour change.

Gathering data at the summit of Boncan Fawr

I collected a ten minute data set from the summit, and once the Trimble had done its stuff and was packed away I retraced my inward route back to my car and drove the short distance to Fachell.  Although there was a car parked outside there was no reply after I knocked on the front door.  I wondered about calling back after visiting my brother, and did so a couple of hours later.

The Trimble set-up position at the summit of Boncan Fawr

I was met by Llinos who invited me in, and the next half hour proved delightful.  I’m indebted to the kindness and hospitality shown me over the years by the farming community and this visit is just one of many where this was shown.

Llinos’ daughter; Elan phoned her father; Aled, who soon arrived and we sat and chatted about the hill and its name.  Aled explained that they know it as Boncan Fawr (pronounced Boncan and not Boncyn), with Aled being the fourth generation of his family to have farmed from Fachell.

(L-R) Elan, Llinos, Aled, Elis and Bedwyr

By the time I left the farm, rain had set in, my visit to the hill and afterward to Fachell to meet Llinos and Aled and their family proved just in time.  And with another summit Trimbled and another hill’s name documented it had been a god day all round.


Survey Result:



Summit Height:  153.6m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 55099 66613 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  110.0m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 55526 66115 (LIDAR)

Drop:  43.6m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  28.36% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)








No comments: