Saturday 13 April 2019

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Mynydd Twr


28.10.18  Cefn Cwmwd (SH 434 741)  

With the weather set fine I decided to head north to the delights of Ynys Môn.  The island still held some P30s that I had not visited and today I wanted to place a tick against many of the remaining ones.

My first summit of the day was Cefn Cwmwd which has its high point in a field beside a perimeter wall that backs on to a manicured green lawn which is the back garden for a row of houses.  This was not ideal, but as it was still early in the morning when I arrived and having found a convenient parking place, I thought a clandestine visit to the field would not disturb any slumbering souls in the near houses.

The way to the summit

I walked up the drive leading toward the houses all seemed quiet, a gate gives access to the field from beside the manicured back garden and I quickly went through it and started pottering about in the field assessing the lay of land.  As I did so, my eye was drawn south-east toward the higher Eryri peaks as dawn was casting the most beautiful pinkish glow against the profile of Crib Goch, with the castellated summit ridge edged in silhouette against the subtle glow of early morning.

Crib Goch from Cefn Cwmwd

Having judged where the summit of the hill was placed I set the Trimble up and once the 0.1m accuracy level was attained I activated it to gather data.  Once the Trimble was gathering data I stood back and looked out on the cloud formations over the high peaks to my south-east.  The cloud forever changed, with the subtle shade of pink now replaced by bright sunbursts glinting through the mass of greying morning cloud. 

Gathering data at the summit of Cefn Cwmwd

However, I did not want to linger as so far my visit had seemingly disturbed no one and with data safely stored I closed the equipment down, packed it away and retraced by inward route back through the gate and down the paved drive to my awaiting car.



Survey Result: 


Cefn Cwmwd 

Summit Height:  84.5m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 43440 74193 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  48.2m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 42185 75141 (LIDAR)

Drop:  36.3m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  42.93% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)











No comments: