Thursday 14 January 2021

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Hafod Ithel

 

29.09.20  Hafod Llŷn (SN 625 700) 

LIDAR image of Hafod Llŷn (SN 625 700)

Prior to visiting this hill it had been reclassified from a Sub-Trichant to a Trichant based on Joe Nuttall’s summit analysis programme and then LIDAR analysis firstly by Jim Bloomer and subsequently by me.  

The work done by Jim Bloomer instigated this hill’s inclusion in the listing of Tumps and it appeared under the name of Llangwyryfon Hill.  This name seems to have been transposed from the near windfarm which is named Llangwyryfon Wind Farm on contemporary Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 Explorer maps. 

For its inclusion in the Y Trichant I examined older Ordnance Survey maps including the Six-Inch series and then turned my attention to the Tithe map.  The latter names the land where the summit of the hill is situated as Hafod Llyn, and this name was duly used for the Y Trichant listing. 

Today I wanted to visit the hill and if circumstance permitted find the local farmer to make place-name enquiries.  I’d driven the short distance from the base of Gaer Fawr (SN 649 719) having had a beautiful misted ascent of the hill.  By the time I parked close to the entrance road to Pwllclai farm (SN 628 709) it was 10.15am.  As I gathered my rucksack, camera and map two vehicles appeared from the farm; a tractor followed by a large 4x4 with an attached trailer. 

As the tractor turned right I held my hand up to say hello, the farmer did likewise.  They stopped almost immediately to open a gate that gave access up the hill.  I locked my car and quickly scampered up the lane calling out as I did so.  Arriving at the tractor I asked permission to use the track to visit the hill, the farmer; Ieuan Jones said by all means.  I asked how far up the hill they were going, to the top came the reply.  I asked if I could jump in the back of the trailer for a lift, Ieuan said in you go and suggested I should stand and hold on to the front of the trailer as it drove up the track. 

The start of the journey up Hafod Llŷn

The next ten minutes or so felt as if I was in a chariot as the 4x4; driven by Ieuan’s wife Avril, bumped its way up the track.  I tried to take some photos, but quickly realised that by doing so I almost flipped out of the trailer.  I took three and then stopped and clung on for my life. 

Avril drove almost to the summit of the hill, stopping beside a caravan and what turned out to be a water slide and small pool that they had constructed for their grandchildren during lockdown.  I descended from the trailer with a broad smile on my face and said hello to Avril and thanked her for taking me up the hill.  Ieuan soon appeared and we stood and chatted for quite some time. 

Ieuan and Avril Jones

During the conversation I explained my interest in hill names and asked what name they knew this hill by; the reply made me smile; Hafod Llŷn.  I showed them my notes for the hill with this name written out and told them that it appears on the Tithe.  Ieuan explained that the name is Hafod Llŷn and not Hafod Llyn, the former relates to Pen Llŷn (Lleyn Peninsula in north-west Wales), whilst the latter would relate to a lake.  The translation of this name can be the summer dwelling of the Llŷn.  The word Llŷn being used as from this vantage point you can see the great sweep of Cardigan Bay taking in the Pembrokeshire coast all the way north to the Llŷn Peninsula. 

I mentioned that I wanted to survey the summit of the hill and they directed me to the best ascent route for the short distance from where we were standing to its high point.  I left after we had chatted for about 20 minutes with a promise of a cup of tea when I arrived back from the summit. 

It was only a short distance to the top of Hafod Llŷn, and once there I spent a few minutes assessing the summit area before setting up the Trimble on top of my rucksack, measuring the offset between its internal antenna and the ground at its base, waiting for the 0.1m accuracy level to be attained before data should be logged and then gathering the allotted data. 

Gathering data at the summit of Hafod Llŷn

To the north-east the profile of Gaer Fawr stared back, now on grand display with the morning’s mist having been burnt off.  To the south-west the moorland top of Hafod Ithel; my next planned hill of the day, rose above its surroundings. 

Once data were gathered and stored I closed the equipment down, packed it away and headed down to re-join Ieuan and Avril.  I was soon sitting on a fold-up camping chair with a warm mug of tea in hand.  Life sometimes brings simple pleasures, and the experience of meeting Ieuan and Avril and the hospitality shown me was certainly one of these. 

Enjoying a panad with Ieuan and Avril

We sat and continued our conversation for another 30 minutes or so, but eventually I had to get going as I had a track to walk down and more hills to visit and survey.  I left having thanked them and headed for the track. 

I arrived back at my car at 12.00 midday, the walk had taken 1¾ hours, with much of this spent in the back of a trailer and chatting with Ieuan and Avril whilst sipping on a very welcome mug of tea.  A great way to spend a couple of hours! 

 

Survey Result: 

 

Hafod Llŷn (significant name change)  

Summit Height:  330.6m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SN 62592 70023 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  300.0m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SN 62234 69672 & SN 62235 69675 (LIDAR)

Drop:  30.6m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  9.25% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch) (Sub-Trichant reclassified to Trichant)

 

 

For further details please consult the Trimble Survey Spreadsheet

 

 

No comments: