Monday 18 October 2021

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Fforest Glud

 

28.08.21  Glascwm (SO 169 525) and Black Hill (SO 174 523) 

Glascwm (SO 169 525)

Glascwm and Black Hill were the last two hills in this area remaining to be surveyed or to be analysed via LIDAR.  Sometimes that need to create accurate numerical data can take you to beautiful quiet places and today these hills fulfilled all objectives and needs. 

After meeting Aled in Caersŵs at 8.00am, we were soon parked above the small community of Rhulen.  I dropped Aled off as he planned a traverse heading north-east over Red Hill, an Uchaf to the east of Cefn Wylfre, before meeting me on Glascwm or Black Hill.  I waved him off and then drove on the narrow lanes through the small community of Glascwm and up to the top of the road pass to the east. 

From the high road, with land nearby also constituting the bwlch of Glascwm, I followed a track heading upward initially beside a fence and then over open hillside.  A number of sheep gazed my way as the first signs of brightness broke through the morning cloud.  Buzzards circled overhead with an occasional Red Kite majestically gliding across the sky.  It was good to be out on the hill. 

Gwaun Ceste (SO 158 555) from the ascent of Glascwm

As I gained height I stopped and looked at the two 1:25,000 maps that cover these hills and estimated how long it would take Aled to get to the summit of Glascwm.  He is younger and much quicker than me, and would probably make it to this summit around the time that I was on its top or just below at the bwlch connecting it with Black Hill, both of which would be surveyed. 

The track bisected with one branch heading southward, whilst I followed the one heading up.  This soon brought me to within a couple of hundred metres of the summit of Glascwm.  I had a good look for the few stones supposedly marking the summit, but could not find them.  If these still exist they are now immersed in the heather.  I soon had the Trimble set up gathering summit data. 

Gathering data at the summit of Glascwm

During data collection I peered southward but could not see Aled, although he later told me he could see me on the summit.  It was a delight to be here in the morning sunshine, with a welcoming slight breeze wafting across the hill.  On days such as this the Radnorshire hills are welcoming places, and as the Trimble quietly beeped away collecting individual datum points I soaked in the scene of peaceful solitude. 

Before leaving the summit I had one last look toward the south for Aled, but still couldn’t see him, so I turned and headed back to the continuation of the track, following it down toward the bwlch separating Glascwm from Black Hill.  I’d been this way before, many years ago, I remember on that day, although the hills were clear of cloud, that it was grey, which added to the feeling of wilderness.  Today with blue skies overhead these hills gave a very different feeling, where to linger was to enjoy their openness. 

Black Hill (SO 174 523)

Once at the bwlch I assessed the lay of land from a number of directions, before placing the Trimble where I judged its critical point to be positioned.  As the equipment gathered data I stood back and soaked in the scene, taking a few photographs of the purpled heather and big blue skies. 

Gathering data at the bwlch of Black Hill

As the equipment neared its five minutes of allotted data collection I walked back to it, pressed ‘Done’ and closed it down and packed it away.  As I turned to make my way up Black Hill I looked up toward Glascwm and there was Aled waving back at me.  He’d made good progress. 

Aled heading down from the summit of Glascwm

Once he joined me we stayed at the bwlch for a few minutes before heading up Black Hill.  The summit of this hill is similar to that of Glascwm; and mainly consists of soft heather.  As the Trimble gathered data we sat below the summit looking out to the east, any distant view was hazy, but the view was still to be savoured. 

Gathering data at the summit of Black Hill

All that remained was to close the Trimble down, pack it away and head back on the track, reclaiming lost height over Glascwm and down to my awaiting car.  Once back at the car we quickly assessed the lay of land for the bwlch position adjoined to Glascwm. 

Gathering data at the bwlch of Glascwm

Having chosen the spot for Trimble placement, I approached this position and as I did so Aled pointed toward a number of wooden boxes close to where I was heading; these were bee hives!  The bees hummed around the bwlch, a constant sound.  I quickly set the Trimble up, and walked back a safe distance, waited for the 0.1m accuracy level to be attained before data should be logged, and once attained I set it to gather data and marched back away from the hives.  Once sufficient bwlch data were gathered and stored I quickly approached the Trimble, closed it down, took a couple of photographs and headed back out of the field and away from the bees. 

 

Survey Result: 

 

Glascwm

Summit Height:  523.5m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SO 16976 52509

Bwlch Height:  392.6m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SO 16656 53409

Drop:  130.9m

Dominance:  25.00%


 

 

Black Hill

Summit Height:  518.0m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SO 17412 52321

Bwlch Height:  493.6m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SO 17272 52536

Drop:  24.4m

Dominance:  4.72%


 

For further details please consult the Trimble Survey Spreadsheet

 

 

 

 

No comments: