Wednesday 19 July 2023

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Carn yr Hyrddod


27.05.23  Clawdd Du Mawr (SN 851 690) 

Clawdd Du Mawr (SN 851 690)

In May 2003 I spent an inordinate amount of time sighting from a fixed spirit level attached to a basic levelling staff and slowly made progress from the bwlch of Clawdd Du Mawr up toward its summit.  I was surveying this hill for Dewey status, which for qualification requires a minimum 30m of drop.  The process of measuring was repeated until reaching the summit area; the last measure I took on to solid ground was about 30 metres from where I judged the high point of the hill was situated.  Sighting across to this point the drop came to 87ft (26.5m).  I then packed the staff away and turned to descend the hill, the friend I was with asked if I was going to visit the summit, I replied ‘no, it doesn’t qualify’.  The following year I completed compilation and purposely started visiting hills in the list that is now known as the Welsh Highlands – Uchafion Cymru.  As all Welsh hills at and above 500m in height with 15m minimum drop qualify for this list, I always regretted not walking that final 30 odd metres to what I judged to be the high point of this hill.  Today, in the company of Aled I rectified the issue and after 20 years of regret finally stood on the summit of Clawdd Du Mawr!

Having recently visited Esgair Pentanau (SN 846 703) and Esgair y Llyn (SN 841 701); two hills relatively close to Clawdd Du Mawr, with only copious amounts of tussocks and bog between, we knew that the grass of the Elenydd was only just sprouting and that the ground was relatively dry.  The grass later in the summer would be thick and tough to walk through, therefore with the continuing fine weather we met at our usual spot in Caersŵs and I then drove toward the stunning openness of the Elenydd. 

The beautiful openness of the Elenydd

A convenient place to park to access the Monk's Trod

We were parked and walking by 7.30am, following narrow sheep paths as they headed through tussocks toward friendlier closely cropped grass above.  As we gained height the scar of the Monk’s Trod; an ancient route over these hills which nowadays is classified as a by-way and which therefore gives permission to all forms of two wheeled vehicles to use, came in to view.  This path follows the crest of an elongated ridge as it makes its way up to the summit of Clawdd Du Mawr. 

The initial path through the tussocks

Reaching the Monk's Trod

We were soon on the main path and even though still relatively early, the clear blue sky and unremitting sun cast warmth across the land, which later in the day would be uncomfortably warm.  The route toward the main path looked across the Nant Torclawdd as it tumbled its way down valley, above the steam a small patch of bluebells cast their magical tinge of colour.  A few sheep looked our way as we gained height, otherwise the early morning gave little disturbance, and it was a beautiful place to be on such a fine morning. 

Bluebells

The main path soon reached the ridge proper where we were confronted by a Council sign giving the permitted times for two wheeled vehicles to use the Monks Trod; all rather surreal.  In places the land had been gauged by vehicle tracks, leaving watery rutted marks on the moor, last weekend when on Esgair Pentanau we spotted about ten trail bikes on the Monks Trod and expected to find more today. 

An unusual place to encounter a sign

We seemed to make good progress with me following Aled as he chose the best route onward.  Ahead and to our right the distinctive profile of Blaen Rhestr came in to view, and this slowly got nearer as we continued our progress on the ridge.  Below and to our north was the farm house of Glanhirin, where we had parked last weekend.  To the left of Blaen Rhestr a rather indistinct moorland lump rose in front; this was Clawdd Du Mawr, my objective for the day, although Aled in his youth and enthusiasm would continue beyond and visit a further four hills.

As we neared the summit of Clawdd Du Mawr the path was no more than an indistinct vehicle track on the moor, the ten figure grid reference produced by LIDAR led us to its high point.  I looked around and smiled at how close I had been twenty years ago when I turned my back on the summit.  This memory was still vivid and seeing the ground and direction I had ascended only made it more striking. 

LIDAR image of Clawdd Du Mawr (SN 851 690)

I soon had the Trimble set up atop my rucksack to gather summit data, before creating the file and waiting for the 0.1m accuracy level to be attained before data should be logged I wished Aled well and off he shot heading toward the main path leading to Blaen Rhestr. 

Gathering data at the summit of Clawdd Du Mawr

It was good to be back here after such a long time, with that memory always lingering of a summit almost reached.  As I headed away from the top I noticed the small figure of Aled on top of Blaen Rhestr, he was already making good progress, and I wouldn’t see him for another 4½ hours.  The descent was beautiful with a myriad of Sky Larks as accompaniment; I used a track on the right in preference to the one we had mainly used on our ascent, with both relatively close to one another. 

Aled on the summit of Blaen Rhestr

Lower on the ridge the trail bikes appeared, one had evidently got stuck as they had halted on my approach.  I stopped and chatted with them for ten minutes or so.  It was good to rest and meet people who gained their pleasure on the hill from something very different to mine.  As we talked a mountain biker approached, he also stopped, before leaving I asked for a group photograph which they kindly posed for. 

A frequent occurrence on the Monk's Trod

Before meeting the trail bikers I had come across a single running shoe left beside the path.  I wondered why only one was on the moor and what had happened to its owner.  This could be a forlorn place to be on a cold and rain soaked day, made even worse if only in possession of one running shoe.

I soon descended to the Council sign and continued on the last section of the Monk’s Trod as it veered rightward away from the ridge crest and down toward friendlier climes in the valley below.  It was here that I met a lovely couple from Rhaeadr Gwy who were heading up to one of the mountain lakes to swim.  We talked for quite some time, this was not their first visit and they told me how clear the water is.  We had reached the lower of the two mountain lakes last weekend and that certainly is a beautiful and quiet place to be, I rather envied their afternoon ahead, swimming in a mountain lake with few if any other people about.

Leaving them I continued down, stopping once to sit and enjoy the view whilst eating a boiled egg.  Leaving the Monk’s Trod I joined a distinct sheep path which led away from tussocks to a quad bike track which took me down on to the minor road about 300 metres from my car.  After reaching the car and packing my walking gear away I drove the short distance to the track that Aled would use for his descent.  Here I opened the car doors, got changed and sat in the sun on my camping chair and waited for Aled to appear.  It was all very relaxed and utterly enjoyable.  He soon appeared and off we went for a chippie treat sitting in the sun in Rhaeadr Gwy. 

 

Survey Result:

 

Clawdd Du Mawr                      

Summit Height:  533.3m (LIDAR)

Summit Grid Reference:  SN 85179 69030 (LIDAR)

Bwlch Height:  507.4m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SN 84938 69068 (LIDAR)

Drop:  25.8m (LIDAR)

Dominance:  4.84% (LIDAR)

 

 

For further details please consult the Trimble Survey Spreadsheet

 

 

 

 

 

  

No comments: