Tuesday 10 November 2020

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Carnedd Wen


08.08.20  Cae Clofar Bach (SJ 069 007), Pen y Gaer (SJ 067 014), Cae Top (SJ 061 016), Square Field (SJ 070 031), Pastures (SJ 080 032) and Pt. 243.8m (SJ 084 023)  

Square Field (SJ 070 031)

Prior to today’s walk I examined a number of Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 Explorer maps looking at hills close to where I live that I had not yet visited, and a group close to Llanwyddelan looked promising.  After further examination I devised an eight mile circuit taking in two P30s and four subs, and if LIDAR was to be believed one of the subs was about to be deleted and one of the P30s change 100m height bands. 

With a forecast of high humidity and warm temperatures an early start was needed and therefore I was walking by 6.30am, having parked close to a bridge crossing the River Rhiw to the east of Llanwyddelan. 

Flecks of early morning drizzle fell during the first half an hour, falling from a murked sky that hung across the higher hills.  I stopped and chatted with a woman who was out watering her plants before the heat of the day struck, this provided a welcome rest from the uphill leading toward the first hill of the day which is positioned about one mile west of the small community of Llanwyddelan.

Pen y Gaer from the approach to Cae Clofar Bach

A gate gave access to a field and a large gap for a vehicle gave further access in to the field where the summit of this sub is situated.  The ten figure grid co-ordinates produced by LIDAR analysis soon led me to the natural high point and the Trimble was duly set up and gathering its allotted data.

Gathering data at the summit of Cae Clofar Bach

The field where the summit of this Sub-Twmpau is situated is named Cae Clofar Bach on the Tithe map; this translates as small clover field in English, and as the equipment beeped away gathering its individual data I stood back and peered through the grey murk toward my next hill and the route to it on the map.

A gate at the lower part of the field gave access back on to the lane and I continued following this down to a right hand turn on to a narrow lane that led me toward the lower slopes of my second hill of the day.  This has the remains of an ancient hill fort encircling its summit and today it had a herd of lazily munching cows scattered across the upper part of the hill.  Although my encounters with cows have in the main been friendly, I am aware, both from walkers and also from farmers, that these beautiful creatures are to be respected whilst on the hill; and especially so if calves are also present.  Leaving the narrow lane I walked up a field and decided on a direct summit approach as the herd of cows had grazed their way across the upper hill and were now out of sight.

During Trimble collection the cows kept their eye on me as I did on them, but we both behaved ourselves and kept our distance.  Once data were gathered and stored I closed the equipment down, packed it away and headed west to a gate giving access down a field to another gate and the continuation of the narrow lane leading up toward a vehicle track that led to a barn which was my access to the next hill.

Gathering data at the summit of Pen y Gaer

I’ve found in recent years that although I still gain an inordinate amount of pleasure from visiting the higher tops, it is these lower hills that now give me the greatest pleasure.  Part of this is the thrill of visiting new ground, but another is the prospect of visiting farms en route and making place-name enquiries, something that on the higher tops seldom happens.

Cae Top from Pen y Gaer

The track led to a gate which again led across a field to another gate and the field where the summit of this next sub was situated.  The Tithe map gives the name Cae Top to this field, which is an obvious but also apt name; top field.  The grid co-ordinates from LIDAR analysis led me to the high point and soon the Trimble was set-up gathering its allotted data.

Gathering data at the summit of Cae Top

From this hill I had a number of options for my descent and continuation toward the fourth hill of the day which was to be the high point of the walk.  I decided to descend to Llwyncopa which is immediately below the summit to the south.  I was soon chatting with James Thomas who had lived in this area all his life and I asked about the hill with the ancient hill fort encircling the summit, this hill is prominent behind where James lives.  He said its name is Pen y Gaer, which makes sense as many such fortifications are known by this name in Wales.  Thanking James I asked permission to use his access track to get back on the lane.

Pen y Gaer from the descent to Llwyncopa

Leaving Llwyncopa I wandered down the access track without a care in the world waving at a couple of vehicles as they headed up it.  After five minutes or so I checked the map as I thought I should be on the narrow lane by now, but knowing that I was on the right track and the lane must be just around the next corner, I continued.  I ended up by a number of house which was wrong, looking at the map again I realised I’d descended in to Adfa which was in the opposite direction to where I wanted to go!  This was confirmed when I stopped a car and the driver kindly told me so, we both smiled.

Cae Top from the narrow lane leading toward Llanllugan

More narrow lanes led from Adfa down to the small community of Llanllugan where I came across the pulpit stone where Hywel Harries used to preach.  The stone has now been embedded in its rightful place with a dedicated slate plaque giving detail.

The pulpit stone in Llanllugan

By now the murk of the morning had risen and the warmth of the day started to take its toll.  Conditions were still greyish but blue sky glimmered through it and would continue to do so as morning turned to afternoon.

From Llanllugan I walked down a lane leading to Fron Green and then gained a public footpath gaining height through the Fron Green Larch Plantation.  This gave respite from the direct sun, but it was warm and the uphill slowly took its toll.  The initial stages of this footpath are a delight on a greened track leading up on the edge of the plantation, however summer nettles soon appeared and in places in copious amounts, these necessitated a slight diversion above the path.  As I neared a fence I decided to gain height toward a gate where I rested and swept more sweat from my brow.

The field on the other side of the gate led me to the track that follows the upper ridge of the fourth hill of the day and which was the high point of the walk.  As I stood on the track I looked down at Pendwyrhiew farm and thought about calling to make further enquiries as no one I had asked knew an individual name for this hill, and the Tithe doesn’t document a field name for where the summit is situated, and if anyone knew it would be the local farmer.  However, the farm was in a dip and the thought of reclaiming the lost height in the heat that was now all pervading, back to the point I was now at, did not enthuse me, so I pressed on to the summit and took the customary data set with the Trimble. 

Gathering data at the summit of Square Field 

During data collection I hoped a farm vehicle would appear so I could flag it down to make enquiries, sadly none did, so I left with the Trimble packed away and without an appropriate name for either the hill or the field where the summit of it is situated.

The bulk of the uphill on the walk was now over, and when I left the track for the next narrow lane I rested and had a boiled egg to replenish my energy.  The conditions were extremely muggy with an oppressive heat, but a breeze occasionally wafted over the tops which proved welcome.

Pastures from the descent toward Llawnt Isaf

My next hill, the fifth of the day rose above the farm of Llawnt Isaf and I was soon at its front door hoping to find the farmer.  All was quiet except for the friendly tethered dog wagging its tail as I approached.  As the farmer wasn’t there I continued through the farmyard and headed up the first field toward the summit, as I did so a vehicle appeared coming down from the summit area.  I waved and was soon talking with Ruth Davies, who proved friendly and helpful.  We chatted for quite some time and she told me that the hill doesn’t have an individual name, with the two fields taking in the high ground being known as the Pastures, a name passed down to her by her father.

Ruth Davies of Llawnt Isaf

Before leaving Ruth I asked permission to visit the summit and waving our goodbyes I was soon plodding my way toward the high point.  I assessed the ground around the summit from either side of the boundary fence and decided that the high point was at its base and set the Trimble up on a fence post and waited until data were gathered and stored.

Gathering data at the summit of Pastures

Only one hill remained and this is the one that LIDAR indicates will be deleted from the sub list, but as its summit was next to the narrow lane which was the descent route back to my car I wanted to survey it.  On my way I called at Tybrith farm but no one was in, so as the Tithe doesn’t document a field name for where the summit of this hill is situated, it remains having been listed by the point notation, although in all probability the Trimble result will confirm LIDAR and it will be deleted from the sub list.

The last data set of the day was taken on ground beside a pile of debris with nettles and a large tree trunk adding variety to the scene.  During data collection I sat, rested, had another boiled egg, took on water, checked the map and started thinking of having a large mug of tea when back home.

Gathering data at the summit of Pr. 243.8m (SJ 084 023)

It was only a mile or so downhill from this last hill, passing the Gwernydd Caravan Park on the way.  This looked immaculately cared for and a number of people were out in the early afternoon heat with young children on bikes and people visiting the café.  I said my hello’s to a group sitting on decking outside in the warmth as I continued down the lane. 

I got back to my car at 12.50pm, the walk had taken 6 hours 20 minutes, I’d visited and surveyed six hills and found appropriate names for two via enquiries en route, with a further two names via the Tithe.  A very fulfilling way to spend a day, all that remained was that large mug of tea! 



Survey Result:



Cae Clofar Bach (significant name change)
  
Summit Height:  246.1m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SJ 06945 00724 (summit relocation confirmed) (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  224.3m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SJ 06767 00923 (LIDAR)

Drop:  21.8m (200m Sub-Twmpau addition) (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  8.86% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)






 
Summit Height:  270.0m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SJ 06728 01430 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  238.4m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SJ 05925 01449 (LIDAR)

Drop:  31.7m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  11.72% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)






 
Summit Height:  268.8m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SJ 06132 01671 (summit relocation confirmed) (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  243.0m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SJ 06613 01642 (LIDAR)

Drop:  25.9m (200m Sub-Twmpau addition) (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  9.62% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)






 
Summit Height:  299.4m (Trichant reclassified to 200m Twmpau) (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SJ 07034 03161 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  253.6m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SJ 06533 03161 (LIDAR)

Drop:  45.8m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  15.29% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)






 
Summit Height:  288.5m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SJ 08047 03297 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  260.5m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SJ 07733 03319 (LIDAR)

Drop:  27.9m (200m Sub-Twmpau addition) (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  9.69% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)






Pt. 243.8m
  
Summit Height:  243.8m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SJ 08450 02373 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  224.8m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SJ 08279 02691 (LIDAR)

Drop:  19.0m (200m Sub-Twmpau deletion) (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  7.79% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)










No comments: