Tuesday 22 December 2020

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Carnedd Wen

 

15.09.20  Glog (SJ 114 037 

Glog (SJ 114 037)

Like many P30s, this hill is rather unassuming; tucked away amongst grazing land where green fields dominate and a quiet, almost forgotten ambiance descends upon the land.  This in part may be due to the immediacy of the visit, as above us the sky was a deep blue and the heat of the day was increasing, this no doubt accentuated the slow rhythm of the surroundings, where seemingly nothing stirred except for the two of us. 

When I’d previously visited this hill in October 2011 I drove to the farm positioned north-west of the summit and asked permission to park.  I met Mr Roberts who kindly let me leave my car in the farmyard and when I asked if I could walk up the hill from this direction, he said ‘well, that’s that then’. 

I also asked Mr Roberts what name he knew the hill by, he said Glog, which is also the name of his farm.  Today with Alex, I wondered about re-visiting Glog farm to see if Mr Roberts was still there, and if so whether I could get a few more details relating to the hill. 

It was 11.15am as we left the car, walking on the track that heads east and contours the southern part of this hill.  We passed Tan-y-glog farm just to our south, and continued to where a gate gave access to the upper hill to our north.  All was so still, the heat had descended and brought a quiet tranquillity to the land. 

From the gate it was a steady plod up hill to the summit area which consists of neatly grazed grass forming a broad indistinct ridge.  We assessed the lay of land from a number of directions and opted for our favoured high point and a few minutes later the Trimble was set-up atop my rucksack and the offset between its internal antenna and the ground at its base noted.  It was soon beeping away collecting individual data. 

Gathering data at the summit of Glog

During data collection Alex sauntered off to laze in the sun, while I wandered a few metres north to look out across the intervening land.  Once five minutes of data were collected I closed the equipment down, packed it away and joined Alex for our descent. 

Heading back on the track I commented that it was like walking in Spain as the heat increased in strength.  I considered calling at Tan-y-glog farm to make further place-name enquiries, but as the translation of this farm’s name means under the Glog I headed back toward the car happy in the knowledge that the name of the Glog was substantiated by this farm’s name.  However, by the time I realised this, the heat was getting to me as we had walked past the farm entrance and I couldn’t pluck enough enthusiasm to wander down its access track and then back up it. 

When we arrived at the car I also considered calling at Glog farm to see if Mr Roberts was still there and to ask further questions about the hill.  But again the heat had sapped my enthusiasm, and as we had many more hills to visit we decided to press on to the next hill, which was to our north-west and again easily accessed from a relatively high lane. 

 

Survey Result:

 

Glog (significant name change)  

Summit Height:  315.4m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000) (significant height revision)

Summit Grid Reference:  SJ 11434 03700 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  c 253m (interpolation)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SJ 11080 03903 (interpolation)

Drop:  c 62m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and interpolated bwlch)

Dominance:  19.79% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and interpolated bwlch)

 

 

For further details please consult the Trimble Survey Spreadsheet

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: