Monday 21 January 2019

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Glyder Fawr


06.10.18 & 10.10.18  Foel Gron (SH 583 621) and Pen y Bigil (SH 576 621)  

Pen y Bigil (SH 576 621)

These two hills overlook Llyn Padarn and the Yr Wyddfa range and form a part of the western extension of Elidir Fawr as it descends to the lowlands of the Glyderau.  I’d visited the lower part of Pen y Bigil many years ago when along with my brother we investigated numerous rock outcrops for scrambling possibilities; otherwise the two hills had stared back at me for many years rising in their bouldered confines above the small community of Deiniolen.

I approached from the south walking up a public footpath enclosed by a stone wall and wired fence on one side and upright slate sides on the other.  The footpath crested the southern ridge of Foel Gron and it was here that I headed on to the hill as a faint path is marked on Ordnance Survey maps and I hoped this would lead me toward the summit bi-passing the profusion of stone walls that mark this hill.

The way to the hill

Yr Wyddfa dominating the southern view

My hope for an easy ascent was dashed as a stone wall soon barred further progress, a cumbersome climb then followed.  Once on the other side the summit was within reach. 

By now the sun had made an appearance, a welcome addition as the skies in the main had remained grey over the last few days.  The play of light interspersed with shadow gave perspective to the land with Yr Wyddfa dominating the southern view.

I took two data sets from the summit area of Foel Gron, the first on a small grassed knoll beside a stone wall where the 353m spot height appears on the map.  This entailed wedging my rucksack on top of the wall and with the Trimble perched on my rucksack it now cleared the barb wired fence which also adorned the stone wall.  Once the offset between its internal antenna and the ground below was measured I stood back as it gathered its allotted data and looked out toward the high peaks of Eryri.

The first data set on Foel Gron

The second data set was taken from ground to the south of the grassy knoll, this is where 2m DTM LIDAR gives the summit to be positioned, and visually this looked higher than the grassy knoll, although eyesight alone is not ideal for such interpolation.  I also noted ground further to the west that looked of similar height, which I later visited but did not take a third data set from.

The second data set on Foel Gron

Once data were stored I packed the Trimble away and headed down toward the minor road between the two hills.  I found the descent relatively easy and used gaps in a number of walls to gain access to the road.

Descending Foel Gron toward Pen y Bigil

It was only a short distance from where I emerged on the road to the access track that leads up to the high mast beside the summit of Pen y Bigil.  On my way up the track I chatted to a woman in her car who had retired and found the house of her dreams, this looked out on Yr Wyddfa and nestled in to the side of Pen y Bigil, she said that it was a beautiful view, although it was prone to get a bit of weather!

The summit of Pen y Bigil is beyond the mast and comprises a rock outcrop, once the Trimble was balanced aligned with the high point I sat below it and looked down on Llyn Padarn and over its glistening waters to the pointed top of Yr Wyddfa, a stunning place to be in the early afternoon.

Gathering data at the summit of Pen y Bigil

Once data were stored I retraced my inward route down the track and took a data set from where LIDAR implies the natural bwlch of Pen y Bigil to be situated.  Just below this position the minor road has carved through this part of the hill forming a cutting with the road bwlch now lower on the hill to hill traverse.  The remaining natural bwlch was beside the track which is slightly elevated above the grazing fields on either side.

Yr Wyddfa from Pen y Bigil

Gathering data at the remaining natural bwlch of Pen y Bigil

After the fourth data set of the walk it was only a short walk on the minor road back to my car, and just one small hill remained to visit and Trimble before visiting my brother in Ysbyty Gwynedd, and that hill was Dinas Dinorwig (SH 549 652).


Postscript:

I later checked the details for Foel Gron with the 1m DTM LIDAR model and discovered that land to the west of where I took the second summit data set from is given as higher.  I thought drat, or other such thoughts!

Foel Gron (SH 583 621)

I could easily forgo such things as 1m DTM LIDAR only gives this westerly point as being a few millimetres higher than where I took the second summit data set from, but this niggled in the back of my mind, and therefore I knew I needed to re-visit and complete the task.

The opportunity to do so came four days after my initial visit, as I’d been out visiting and surveying a number of P30s in the north-eastern Carneddau and Foel Gron was only a short diversion from my route back toward Nantlle.

Although the forecast for the day predicted high winds, the north-eastern Carneddau had been well sheltered with only a semblance of light breeze during the many hours that I’d been wandering the hills earlier in the day, but upon arrival at the base of Foel Gron the wind whipped the land in a frenzy compared to the preceding hours of tranquillity.

I was soon at the top of Foel Gron having ascended direct from the road between it and Pen y Bigil, this was my descent route on my first visit and proved an easy way off the hill.

Yr Wyddfa from Foel Gron

The Trimble directed me to the 1m DTM LIDAR summit which comprises ground I had looked out on and later visited after the two summit surveys of this hill previously conducted.

Once at this summit I remodelled a small cairn to wedge the Trimble in place and safeguard it from the strong wind and measured a 0.13m offset between its internal antenna and the ground at its base and set it to gather data.

Gathering data at the summit of Foel Gron

As it did its stuff I stood below it facing in to the wind and watched as the sun cast wonderful colour on the hill, looking up the valley Yr Wyddfa dominated the view, a great greened bulk with shadowed plunging cliff rimmed sides; a marvellous sight.

I let the Trimble gather 15 minutes of data as I was in no rush and stood happily as the wind span across the hill.  On occasion it feels the most natural thing to stand and face elemental forces whilst they are at play, and today it was a delight as the wind and its ferocity and uncontrolled noise hurtled past, this is especially so on a moorland hill as if blown over it would give a relatively soft landing on heather.

I wanted to stay on this hill until the sun sank in the western sea, but the colour enriched hillsides drew me down, and once data were stored and the Trimble packed away I slowly made my way back down the hill.

Old and new in Deiniolen

As I drove the short distance to where the road widened beside a church I stopped to change out of my boots and hill walking gear, and spent a number of minutes watching the oranged glow as the sun forever sank deeper in the sky.

Sunset from Deiniolen

It had been a day of contrasts starting with delicate mist as it played on the banks of Llyn Gwynant, followed by the silent flight of a barn owl, discovering a cannabis plant on a hill, meeting a farmer and being invited in for a refreshing drink and shortbread, meeting the Gorse Hill Caravan Park owner, having a number of hill names confirmed, my legs ripped by copious amounts of gorse and now watching the sun slowly set.  A wonderful way to spend a day. 

    

Survey Result:



Foel Gron

Summit Height:  351.6m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 58359 62170 (Trimble GeoXH 6000) (summit relocation confirmed)

Bwlch Height:  319.3m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 58675 62194 (LIDAR)

Drop:  32.3m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  9.19% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)





Pen y Bigil

Summit Height:  331.0m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000) (significant height revision)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 57600 62119 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  292.6m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 58014 62043 (LIDAR)

Drop:  38.4m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch) (Sub-Trichant reclassified to Trichant)

Dominance:  11.59% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)











No comments: