Saturday 26 January 2019

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Glyder Fawr


06.10.18  Dinas Dinorwig (SH 549 652)  

Dinas Dinorwig (SH 549 652)

Dinas Dinorwig is a part of the Glyderau lowlands as them succumb to grazed fields and eventually the sea.  The hill is situated near the small community of Bethel and as its name implies the upper part of the hill has the remains of an ancient Iron Age hill fort on it with the ramparts now infested by small trees, brambles and high bracken, making the hill well protected from prospective visitors.

I’d visited once before in May 2004 when the hill was listed as Pen Dinas, which is the name of the farm nestled below the northern part of the upper ramparts.

Prior to my second visit I analysed the summit and bwlch of this hill with LIDAR, and found that the contouring give a part of the upper ramparts as higher than the grazed inner part of the hill which is crowned by two rocks on what looks like a slightly raised old grassed cairn.

As the ancient ramparts and their brambled and brackened defences would give a testing ascent I thought enquiring at Pen Dinas if I could park and use a path beside the farm to visit the summit would be a more convenient approach.  As no one answered when I knocked on the door I parked my car, left a note on the dashboard explaining where I had gone and who I was, and up I went with Trimble in hand.

A grassed path led around the side of the farm through the upper rampart to what I expected to be a grazed inner part of the hill, I was surprised to be met by a friendly horse that now has the run of this part of the hill as a paddock.

I wondered how the horse would react with a surveyor wandering in his domain; I should not have worried as the horse remained inquisitive and very friendly during my stay in his paddock.  After gently talking to and stroking the horse we seemed on best of terms.

The high point of this part of the hill was easy to determine and as I set the Trimble up the horse showed more interest in what I was doing than many of my hill walking friends.  Once the equipment was in position I slowly backed away and hoped the horse would follow, thankfully it was now more interested in me than the Trimble and off we sauntered to the edge of the paddock, and during data collection the horse remained close nuzzling its head toward me on occasion.

My new surveying assistant

I now wanted to take a data set from where LIDAR gives the summit of the hill to be situated, but all I could see was a mass of bramble and undergrowth.  I gave up on my first venture in to this almost impenetrable jungle and decided to approach from a slightly different direction; I was soon standing in bracken that was well above my head, a novel experience to say the least.  I wondered what the horse was making of it all.

As I slowly waded through the undergrowth the first signs of an embankment came in to view, this was no more than a rise of bramble and stunted trees, but there was something definitely there, I struggled on and eventually clambered up on to one of the inner ramparts and looked steeply down to a ditch, which again was swamped in all manner of undergrowth.

Somewhere up there is the summit of Dinas Dinorwig

I checked the grid reference on the Trimble’s screen against the summit position from LIDAR and stretched out a boot cladded foot to touch the highest part of ground which was under a stunted tree and more bramble and looked at where I was now standing, deciding that it would be next to impossible to set the Trimble up let alone gather data from this position I decided that LIDAR alone would suffice for the position and height of this hill’s summit.

On top of the ancient embankment

As I clambered down from the rampart I was met by what I initially thought to be a swarm of flies, they were diffused in late afternoon sunlight, their small silhouettes difficult to detail, but I became aware that they were yellow as one landed on my fleece coat, I’d disturbed a bee’s nest and they were not happy.  As I looked at the bee on my coat which was just under my chin I felt a sharp pain in my upper right arm, one had stung me, I wondered if it was under my fleece or had gone for the direct approach landing on my fleeced arm and attacking me from there.  Whatever its approach I did not hang around and quickly left the undergrowth and the bees to their own devices.  The thought of attempting to gather Trimble data from the embankment was now a definite non-starter!

Before leaving I went back to the rock in the centre of the paddock and compared the grid reference for its position against that produced by LIDAR, and again the horse sauntered toward me and inspected the Trimble, a gentle soul who I patted my goodbye’s to before walking the short distance to the farm and my awaiting car, rubbing my right arm as I did so.



Survey Result:




Summit Height:  169.6m (LIDAR)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 54955 65254 (LIDAR) (summit relocation confirmed)

Bwlch Height:  131.8m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 54648 64645 (LIDAR)

Drop:  37.8m (LIDAR)

Dominance:  22.29% (LIDAR)











No comments: