Tuesday 12 March 2019

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Mynydd Twr


22.10.18  Pt. 63.3m (SH 491 760)  

As I approached the narrow lane where I hoped to find a parking place for the walk up this hill, the sun had risen above the early morning cloud and autumnal warmth and blue sky were now the order of the day.

This hill is unnamed on the map and I have yet to find a name for it or for its upper enclosed field, so for now it is being listed by the point (Pt. 63.3m) notation.

An old green lane approaches the upper part of this hill from the east and this is the way I also approached the hill.  The green lane heads toward Yr Allt, which is now a quietly placed old ruined house. 

The way to the hill

Just before reaching Yr Allt a gate entrance with robust stone posts opened on to the upper field where the summit of the hill is positioned, this rises conically shaped with its high point easily identified.

The old gate entrance leading to the summit

I soon had the Trimble placed atop my rucksack which acts as an improvised tripod giving the equipment elevation above its immediate surrounds, and once the 0.38m offset was measured and the Trimble had attained the 0.1m accuracy level before data should be logged, I pressed ‘Log’ and stood back and waited for the allotted five minutes of data to be gathered and stored.

Gathering data at the summit of Pt. 63.3m (SH 491 760)

The Trimble set-up position at the summit of Pt. 63.3m (SH 491 760)

All that remained was to retrace my inward route and then call at a farm or two making place-name enquiries on route.  As I neared my car the woman who lives at the house below the hill and which I had parked next to, walked on to the lane with her dog, I called over and we chatted for a number of minutes.  She explained the upper field is now rented and she didn’t know who the landowning farmer would be, and had never heard an individual name for the hill.  She then kindly made a phone call to a near farm where its occupant, who was in her eighties, might know of a name, unfortunately she didn’t.  The woman then suggested for me to call at the Stone Museum on my way to my next hill; Mynydd Llwydiarth, as the people there were very knowledgeable about the local landscape.  I did, leaving my email address as a contact after speaking with the owner who said that he would make further enquiries on my behalf.      

  

Survey Result:



Pt. 63.3m
 
Summit Height:  63.3m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 49157 76080 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  35.1m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 49043 76701 (LIDAR)

Drop:  28.2m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch) (30-99m Twmpau reclassified to 30-99m Sub-Twmpau) (Lesser Dominant deletion)

Dominance:  44.58% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)  









No comments: