Saturday 25 May 2019

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Pumlumon


22.02.19 & 28.03.19  Graig Fach (SN 821 930) and Y Grug (SN 840 934)

Y Grug (SN 840 934)

The last time I headed in to the northern Pumlumon range on the track past the waters of Glaslyn was in May 2016 when clear blue skies met me; today was very similar with a gentle clarity to the beckoning blue sky and the outline of distant hills on the horizon.

The track to the hills

I wanted to re-survey two hills; Graig Fach and Y Grug, as both are marginal to the P15 qualifying drop criterion for the Welsh Highlands – Uchafion Cymru list, and since my last visit Aled has analysed Y Grug via LIDAR.  Therefore I had a multitude of ten figure grid references for both hills.  But as with most hill walks, the surveying seemed periphery to just being out in such a stunning place.  The hills of the northern Pumlumon are the gems of this range and especially those gathered round the northern valleys, which dramatically sweep downward to the valley below.

As I walked past Glaslyn I stood for a few moments taking in the scene with Cadair Idris away to the north and Foel Fadian rising in yellow tinged colour accentuated by the morning light.

Glaslyn and Foel Fadian

Foel Fadian

The track led toward the northern moorland ridge of Banc Bugeilyn and nestled just beyond on the opposite side is Graig Fach.  I’d visited this hill twice before, and each time I had surveyed it, once with my old basic levelling staff and on the second visit with the Trimble.  I now wanted to check on its summit position and take a series of surveys mainly on the summit area, but if time permitted also at its bwlch.

Graig Fach is a rough hill consisting of moorland grass and heather, although a sheep track does exist which heads toward its upper section and eases passage toward its summit.  I spent over an hour on this hill taking three data sets on its summit area and two at its bwlch.  During this time a thankful cooling breeze meandered across the land as during the walk in I wondered if I was going to overheat in the unseasonably warm February weather.

Gathering data at the summit of Graig Fach

The Trimble set-up position at the summit of Graig Fach

Once all required data sets were complete I re-joined the track and reversed my inward route to where a greened track headed south-east toward the Nant Goch and Afon Clyweog.  I often find it hard to use words that give justice to the hills and the unencumbered open space they offer, and when on this greened track life seemed so simple with uncomplicated thought, just the here and now with periphery detail seemingly gone.  This to me is one of the great joys of being out amongst the hills.

The green track leading toward Y Grug

The track led to a large barn and gravelled path leading down to a sturdy footbridge crossing the Nant Goch.  The path continued up on the opposite side of the stream contouring toward a fence beside which I sat on the hillside and luxuriated myself in the unseasonal warmth, letting my mind wander and empty.

A sheep path led up close to the fence toward the summit of Y Grug which consists of small clumps of moorland grassed tussocks.  I took two data sets from the area of this hill’s summit before venturing down to its grassed connecting bwlch.

Gathering data at the summit of Y Grug

As the Trimble gathered the last of its eight data sets of the day I stood and enjoyed the scene as the slight breeze wandered across the ridge and the sun cast beautiful early spring colour.  It was good to be out.



Postscript:

As the surveyed drop for Y Grug came to 14.98m which is only 2cm below Uchaf qualification, I wanted to re-visit the hill and take further data sets from its summit and bwlch, and ideally do this on a day that was relatively warm with little breeze.  The opportunity to do so came five weeks later on the 28th March and following the hill’s broad grassy northern ridge I headed toward its summit.  I’d come prepared as I had done before, with ten figure grid references for both summit and bwlch which were produced by Aled’s LIDAR analysis.

This was the fourth time I’d been to this hill and every visit I’d surveyed it!

The Trimble was soon positioned atop my rucksack and the measurement offset between its internal antenna and the ground below noted and away it went quietly beeping as individual datum points were gathered and stored.

The last of the five data sets taken on the summit area of Y Grug during the survey conducted on the 28.03.19

I’d brought small flags to note each survey position and spent about 50 minutes at the summit taking another five data sets to add to the two from my previous visit.

Happy with my summit endeavours I sauntered down to its connecting bwlch and placed a small flag where my eye initially positioned the critical bwlch and another flag where the ten figure grid reference produced by LIDAR places the critical bwlch, between these positions I placed another two flags, each four metres apart and spent the next 40 minutes contentedly waiting for data to be gathered and stored from these four positions.


The last of the four data sets taken on the bwlch area of Y Grug during the survey conducted on the 28.03.19

All that remained was the walk back along the northern ridge to my car and the task of processing the nine data sets just gathered.   
  

     
Survey Result:



Graig Fach

Summit Height:  513.5m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SN 82117 93069

Bwlch Height:  498.8m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SN 82314 93321

Drop:  14.7m (500m Sub-Uchaf status confirmed)

Dominance:  2.86%




Y Grug

Summit Height:  519.4m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SN 84068 93472

Bwlch Height:  504.3m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SN 83978 93757

Drop:  15.0m (Uchaf status retained)

Dominance:  2.90%




No comments: