Thursday 10 December 2020

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Stiperstones


31.08.20  Todleth Hill (SO 288 945), Roundton Hill (SO 294 949), Brithdir Hill (SO 298 951), Cefn Top (SO 317 953), Pen y Mirth (SO 319 948) and Castle Hill (SO 314 945)  

Roundton Hill (SO 294 949)

Having visited Corndon and Lan Fawr two days ago, I was enthused with the prospect of visiting their adjacent P30s.  I’d only been on these hills once before in January 2004 and remember them giving a good circuit and outside of the steep sided and popular Roundton Hill, the land is seldom visited by the hill walker.

I was parked and walking up the narrow lane leading through the small community of Hurdley by 8.15am.  A public footpath led up valley between the steepening slopes of Todleth Hill to the west and Roundton Hill to the east.  The valley was still in shade with dew soaked grass heralding the first sign of impending autumn.  Above, the two summits cast colour as the early morning sun spread across their tops from the east.

Approaching Todleth Hill

I followed another public footpath up through a wood toward the higher southerly flank of my first hill of the day; Todleth Hill.  Numerous blackberries tempted me to stop and indulge in breakfast, but I concentrated on reaching the open hillside above and continuing the short distance to the grassed summit area.

Roundton Hill from the ascent of Todleth Hill

Soon the Trimble was set-up atop my rucksack gathering data.  With the offset noted between its internal antenna and the ground at its base, I stood away from the equipment as it gathered its individual datum points and soaked in the scene with the steep south-westerly slopes of Roundton Hill looking particularly daunting.

Gathering data at the summit of Todleth Hill

Once the equipment had gathered and stored its allotted data, I closed it down, packed it away and headed down the grassed northern slopes toward the hill’s connecting bwlch, which is positioned on the narrow lane close to houses in the small community of Old Churchstoke.

All was quiet as I quickly assessed the lay of land, with the hill to hill traverse and valley to valley traverse meeting on the road.  I quickly set the Trimble up and hoped that no passing vehicle would demolish it and my rucksack.  Considering its set-up position it achieved the 0.1m accuracy level before data should be logged remarkably quickly and I patiently waited for five minutes of data to be gathered and stored.  During this all was quiet and thankfully no vehicles appeared.

Gathering data at the bwlch of Todleth Hill

The continuation of the narrow lane first led downhill and then up toward a point that I could access the open hillside to my east which led directly to the bwlch between Roundton Hill and its 1m map heighted higher neighbour of Brithdir Hill.  The bwlch consists of grass and today it had a few sheep nonchalantly munching in the early morning sunshine.

I assessed the lay of land at the bwlch from a number of directions, and having judged where its critical point lay, I set the Trimble up for another five minute data collection.  During which I stood and looked up to Roundton Hill, this hill is impressive with steep sides and a series of small crags with a profile that is easily distinguished from afar.

Gathering data at the bwlch of Roundton Hill

Once the Trimble was packed away I followed the path from the bwlch as it wound its way up to the high point of Roundton Hill.  After setting the Trimble up I walked back down a section of the path and took a series of photos looking out toward Corndon, Lan Fawr and my next hill; Brithdir Hill.  All looked inviting, bathed in delicate morning colour.

Lan Fawr on the left and Corndon on the right from Roundton Hill

After closing the Trimble down I had a quick look at the panoramic viewfinder close to the summit and walked toward the steepening drop to look down on Todleth Hill.  I was surprised that on such a beautiful bank holiday Monday morning no one, except for me, was on the hill.  However, the solitude and view were to be savoured.

Todleth Hill from Roundton Hill

I doubled back for my next hill, over the bwlch I had just surveyed and up the continuation of a green track bi-passing gorse on the way.  The summit of Brithdir Hill consists of an attractive small embedded rock.  The Trimble was soon set-up aligned with its high point gathering data.

Gathering data at the summit of Brithdir Hill

My onward route now took me across country via Barry Llewelyn at Brithdir Farm.  This farm is directly below the summit I had just Trimbled and soon I was rounding the corner toward its front gate, at the same time Barry was walking down the path toward the gate, our unexpected meeting made us both jump.

Barry’s family have farmed from Brithdir since the 1860s and he named many of the hills in the surrounding area, including Cefn Top which he rents, and which was my next hill on the walk.  I spent a number of minutes with Barry and enjoyed our time together.  Thanking him for his time I headed down the farm’s access track on to another narrow lane which took me all the way to the next bwlch, which connects with Cefn Top.

Barry Llewelyn at Brithdir farm

This bwlch is positioned just off the narrow lane through a gate and close to another, with copious amounts of nettles close by.  As the Trimble gathered its allotted data I stood close to a tree and felt the morning’s exertions starting to catch up with me.

Brithdir Hill from the approach to Cefn Top

The summit of Cefn Top was close by, and a green track led through a gate close to where I had accessed its bwlch, and from here up toward its summit.  The Tithe map names the upper field as Long Top, an apt name, as from the direction I approached; the upper part of the hill has a long flattish top.  I took two data sets, with the second my favoured position for its summit.

Gathering data at the summit of Cefn Top with Corndon in the background

Leaving the summit dappled cloud cast shadow across the hills; flashes of late summer colour accentuated the shadowed parts of hillside.  It was a joy to be out on such a day.  Quietness pervaded the land.  However, what I encountered at the next bwlch broke any semblance of peacefulness. 

The next bwlch connected with the penultimate hill of the day and consisted of an earthen track leading across a field, with the adjacent field having a friendly herd of grazing cows in it.  They heralded my arrival with a chorus of extremely loud mooing, with one cow after another giving voice.  This reverberated around an otherwise quiet and isolated spot for many minutes.  During data collection I sat under a tree and smiled at the scene.

Gathering data at the bwlch of Pen y Mirth

A slow plod uphill led me to the next summit which is crowned by a raised field boundary and a misshapen Ash tree.  I set the Trimble up directly over the high point on top of a fence post and waited for the 0.1m accuracy level to be achieved.  This position was enclosed and directly under the tree.  I decided after waiting for about 20 minutes to reposition the equipment on a part of the tree, and proceeded to gather data. 

At the summit of Pen y Mirth

My onward route took me down across a large field on to a track leading through forestry to the lane beside Yew Tree Farm, where I called and chatted with the farmer for 15 minutes or so.

I had one hill left to visit, and the farmer at Yew Tree Farm directed me to the best route toward it.  This hill is named Castle Hill and consists of an old Motte and Bailey.  I took two data sets from its summit area, sitting during both, relaxing in the quiet surrounds and tempted by more blackberries.

Gathering data at the summit of Castle Hill

I considered surveying Castle Hill’s connecting bwlch, but on inspection the field where I judged it to be positioned had a large herd of cows in it.  Happy with just the summit having been surveyed I headed down the steep sides of the upper hill to the Church below and the lane next to it, toward a series of footpaths leading me back toward Hurdley.

I suffered on the way back, partly through the warmth of the afternoon, but also because some of the footpaths did not seem to exist on the ground and therefore I spent much of the time wandering through thick grassed fields aiming toward where I thought I should be going.

Eventually I reached the small community of Hurdley and a few minutes later, my car, having been on the hill for over eight hours, with eleven surveys completed, six hills visited and another local name; Cefn Top, documented. 


Survey Result:


Todleth Hill 
 
Summit Height:  310.7m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SO 28890 94518

Bwlch Height:  246.5m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SO 28828 95012

Drop:  64.2m

Dominance:  20.65%





Roundton Hill 
 
Summit Height:  370.4m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SO 29408 94952

Bwlch Height:  327.0m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SO 29531 95067

Drop:  43.4m

Dominance:  11.72%





 
Summit Height:  371.1m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SO 29863 95157 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  c 313m (interpolation)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SO 29923 95772 (interpolation)

Drop:  c 58m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and interpolated bwlch)

Dominance:  15.67% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and interpolated bwlch)





 
Summit Height:  354.4m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SO 31764 95334

Bwlch Height:  313.2m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SO 31502 95512

Drop:  41.2m

Dominance:  11.62%





 
Summit Height:  332.2m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SO 31947 94840

Bwlch Height:  299.7m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SO 31847 94950

Drop:  32.5m

Dominance:  9.79%





Castle Hill 
 
Summit Height:  283.2m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000) (significant height revision)

Summit Grid Reference:  SO 31430 94540 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  c 261m (interpolation)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SO 31356 94661 (interpolation)

Drop:  c 22m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and interpolated bwlch) (200m Sub-Twmpau addition)

Dominance:  7.85% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and interpolated bwlch)












No comments: