Monday 16 May 2022

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Moelwyn Mawr

 

18.03.22  Yr Arddu (SH 673 507)

Yr Arddu (SH 673 507)

On my previous visit; Yr Arddu formed one of a number of hills including Moel Meirch and Carnedd y Cribau on a six hour circuit taking in parts of the northern Moelwynion.  On that day the underfoot conditions were particularly soggy with much bog and wetness encountered.  Today was a more leisurely affair, with just this one hill planned to visit.

Yr Arddu stands aloof of the main Moelwynion ridge as it heads northward from Cnicht toward Moel Siabod.  The hill forms an arm that pokes north-eastward from the wild confines of Llyn Edno.  Its summit area consists of moor and rock and memories from my previous visit were of a rough hill.

As I was visiting only this hill I opted for what is probably the easiest approach to Yr Arddu; via the end of the paved road as it makes its way from near the small community of Dolwyddelan to the last few farm houses nestled amongst green pasture under the rugged eastern face of the hill.

There is plenty of room for a few cars to be parked close to the continuation of the paved road as it sweeps up to Coed Mawr farm.  As I slowly made my way toward the farm lambs wrapped in protection coats nuzzled their mothers in the adjacent fields.  Blue sky dominated above heralding the onset of spring.  I’d set out wearing trousers and fleece coat, the former were later converted to shorts and the latter put in my rucksack.

By the time I reached Coed Mawr I wanted a rest, which didn’t foretell quick going for the remainder of the walk!  My rest coincided in meeting William and Caryl Noble who were walking toward one of the barns to tend to new born lambs.  We chatted for a number of minutes.  I remember meeting William’s mother twenty years ago on my previous visit.  I didn’t note her name then, only describing her as ‘Mrs Farmer’ in my bagging journal.  This brought a smile to William’s face when I mentioned it. 

William and Caryl Noble of Coed Mawr

Following the track out of Coed Mawr I slowly made progress uphill towards one of two gates.  At the first I rested, and again did likewise at the second.  From here a quad bike track can be followed on the moor as it heads up the hill.  This gave relatively easy passage up the moor and through the occasional bog.

I stopped frequently, resting with one hand placed on my knee, looking at the ground until I had recovered my breath.  My immediate domain was one of breeze blown moor grass, still bleached light yellow from the winter months.  I watched as the grasses danced in the breeze and listened to the gentle hum of the wind as the rhythmic thud, thud, and thud of my breathing slowly calmed.  The only other sound that made a melodious welcomed intrusion was one of Sky Larks, their song ever present as overhead accompaniment. 

Carnedd y Cribau with Castell y Gwynt and Glyder Fach in the background

The quad bike track eventually stopped close to a greened small pool where a collapsed stone wall signified further access to the upper hill.  From here a narrow ridge path weaves its way through the rock toward the high point of Yr Arddu.

Over recent times my mind-set has become accustomed to smaller heighted P30s.  Being confronted by rock and moor on what for me is now a relatively high hill is an unusual experience, one to be savoured if the conditions are favourable, and today they were. 

Moel Siabod dominating the view to the north

As I gained further height I occasionally stopped and looked behind at the profile of Moel Siabod; a great bulk of a hill dominating the northern most part of this hill range.  Across the intervening valley Yr Wyddfa and its classic horseshoe was on grand display, and all framed by the immediate rock leading ever upward toward the summit of Yr Arddu. 

Yr Wyddfa and its classic horseshoe

The narrow path proved a delight to walk on and gave good progress through the rock strewn upper ridge toward the high point of the hill.  A large cairn signifies the summit; this is placed on a rib of rock, with the very highest part of the hill at the end of the rock rib.

As the Trimble quietly beeped away gathering data I sat behind the cairn, out of view of the equipment so as not to impede satellite reception.  It felt good to be back on this hill, sitting in the sunshine with that beautiful and welcome slight chilled easterly early spring breeze whisking across the land. 

Gathering data at the summit of Yr Arddu

Normally I would close the equipment down after five minutes of data collection, but I let it gather ten minutes.  This allowed me to sort my fleece out and pack it neatly in my rucksack whilst I munched on a boiled egg.  Afterward I sat and soaked in the view and luxuriated in that first warmth of the year.

Before packing the equipment away I took a few photographs and then reversed my inward route, back on the narrow path leading through the rock toward the green small pool and the vehicle track on the moor leading down to the second gate.  Here I sat and rested before continuing my descent.

I stopped again at the first gate and then continued down toward Coed Mawr and the paved narrow road leading from the farm toward my awaiting car.  It had been a fine few hours on the hill in the first spring warmth of the season. 

 

Survey Result: 

 

Yr Arddu

Summit Height:  589.6m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 67340 50702 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  c 552m (interpolation)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 66825 50042 (interpolation)

Drop:  c 38m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and interpolated bwlch)

Dominance:  6.38% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and interpolated bwlch)

 

 

For further details please consult the Trimble Survey Spreadsheet

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: