Friday 21 April 2023

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Moelwyn Mawr


11.03.23  Cerrig Cochion (SH 661 508) 

The early morning drive up Nant Gwynant rewarded fine views of the mountains, resplendent in their late winter dress.  Having parked in a layby, I duly went through the usual ritual of donning the walking gear.  Given that yesterday’s snow was still in-situ, gaiters were finally added to the ensemble and I proceeded up through the deciduous woodland towards the wide pass of Bwlch Ehediad.

Early morning start through the woodland (Photo: Aled Williams)

 
Gallt y Wenallt above Llyn Gwynant (Photo: Aled Williams)

The route up was peaceful with the only sounds being the satisfying crunch of trodden snow and the distant calls of goats.  However, I soon realised that the pristine snow conditions meant that I would be breaking trail up the mountain.  This was a little worrying, as my objective was to survey one of the tops of Cerrig Cochion, which can be a rough ridge to traverse even in the summer.  The ground conditions became progressively more challenging as I reached the top of Bwlch Ehediad and the view ahead confirmed my fears.

Deep powder snow (Photo: Aled Williams)

Not long after leaving Bwlch Ehediad, I found myself knee deep in a large expanse of powder-snow.  Multiple routes were explored, but no respite was to be found.  It took an inordinate amount of time to break the 400m contour and at this point I considered turning back.  I was conscious that the weather forecast had predicted further wintery weather for the afternoon and that my plans for a short morning walk would be compromised by the powder-snow.  I looked at the beauty of the scenes around me and convinced myself that I would have sufficient time and energy to complete the walk.

Carnedd y Cribau (Photo: Aled Williams)

 
The view across to a snow encrusted Moel Siabod (Photo: Aled Williams)

I was now at the base of Cerrig Cochion, although there was nothing red about these rocks today!  The ground conditions did not improve as I repeatedly found my legs falling past knee height into the snow.  Slowly progress was made and I eventually found myself at the apex of the path below the main summit of Cerrig Cochion.  I gazed upon the wilderness in front of me; the brilliant whiteness of Yr Arddu and the sea of snow that shored at the elegant rocky cone of Moel Meirch.

A glimmer of sunlight (Photo: Aled Williams)

Moel Meirch (Photo: Aled Williams)

Another section of wearying slog finally took me to the day’s quarry; one of the three P10 tops on Cerrig Cochion that are currently listed in the Subs of The Welsh Highlands list that I co-author with Myrddyn Phillips.  The marginal drop status of this top would soon be confirmed following two surveys at the summit and another two surveys at the critical bwlch.  The former presented no difficulties, but the bwlch surveys required the excavation of over 0.5m of snow to find the ground.

The Trimble GeoXH 6000 gathering data at the summit (Photo: Aled Williams)

Gathering data at the bwlch (Photo: Aled Williams)

Having completed the day’s surveys, I contemplated visiting a few unclimbed Sub tops on Moel Meirch.  I could see the skies darkening to the south, but judged that I had just about enough time to do so.  As I headed up Moel Meirch, I spotted an impressive clump of the alpine subspecies of juniper; the mountain being one of its strongholds in Eryri.

Typical rocky terrain on the Moelwynion (Photo: Aled Williams)

Alpine subspecies of juniper (Photo: Aled Williams)

The ground conditions were particularly difficult on Moel Meirch.  The snow was still knee-deep, but with an added frozen crust that was too weak to hold my weight and produced glass-like shards that would painfully scrape the shins.  Having visited two new Subs I noticed that Moel Hebog was engulfed in a snow shower and heading towards Moel Meirch were similarly threatening clouds.  It was time to head back down.

Weather now closing in with snow showers breaking out (Photo: Aled Williams)

The descent was slow and exhausting until I finally reconvened with my inbound footsteps on Cerrig Cochion.  My hard-earned ascent was now paying off and relatively quick progress was made down to Bwlch Ehediad.  During this time, snowfall commenced and became increasingly heavy, with large feathers filling the sky as I reached the shelter of the lower wooded slopes.  It had been a challenging excursion and the drive home through heavy rain heralded my expectations for a long hot soak in the bath.

The route back to Bwlch Ehediad (Photo: Aled Williams)

 
Snow now falling on the descent (Photo: Aled Williams)

Survey Result: 

 

Cerrig Cochion

Summit Height:  538.5m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 66139 50880

Bwlch Height:  528.1m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 66100 50849

Drop:  10.4m

Dominance:  1.93%



For further details please consult the Trimble Survey Spreadsheet

 

 

 

  

No comments: