Sunday 24 December 2023

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Drygarn Fawr


25.11.23  Esgair Garthen (SN 825 642) 

Esgair Garthen (SN 825 642)

Today’s walk was the culmination of over 19½ years of visiting hills as it was April 2004 when I purposely bagged my first Welsh 500m P15.  During the intervening years I’ve written my ascents of these hills in a bagging journal, the first entry proclaims; ‘Oh no, another list!!’

In 2004 I’d completed my basic levelling surveys of the higher Welsh 2,000ft’ers and the obsessional trait that is within me was looking for another self-imposed challenge.  I have been aware of such traits and lived with them for many years.  On occasion I struggle with them as they become all encompassing, and this latest obsession certainly fitted this bill as I knew the commitment involved in trying to survey the many hundreds of marginal candidates that could qualify under the criteria involved, let alone visiting all qualifying hills would take me many years to complete.  However, I’ve also learnt such traits are a part of me and nowadays I accept this and go with the flow, and this is what I did with this latest challenge, and I’m thankful I did so as these hills and the list they are a part of have given me many wonderful days on the hill.

The list that Esgair Garthen is a part of is now co-authored with Aled Williams, and his involvement has increased the numerical robustness of the list as well as the place-name research that has gone in to it.  It is now known as the Welsh Highlands – Uchafion Cymru and takes in all Welsh hills at and above 500m in height that have 15m minimum drop.  Accompanying the main list is a P10 sub list, resulting in a comprehensive listing to the Welsh hills at and above 500m.

During initial compilation of this list I had decided to keep Esgair Garthen as my last hill, partly as it’s situated in the Elenydd, which forms the great central belt of Wales and takes in many of the qualifying hills.  It also looked relatively easy to get to with a large parking area at the start of the walk and a three mile long broad ridge to its summit, with a dotted line on contemporary Ordnance Survey maps indicating a path on this ridge.

I contemplated extending the invite to join this celebratory walk to friends and hill baggers, but as the year progressed with a number of summit relocations tidied up and the last few remaining hills visited, it became evident that if completing this year it would probably be in November.  November can be a beautiful time of year to visit the hills with settled conditions giving blue skies and frosted mornings, but it can also give seemingly unending grey days of mist and drizzled conditions, and as Aled had added so much to this list as well as being my main hill walking companion over recent times, I wasn’t going to visit this hill within him and with a full time job and young family a Saturday is the best day of the week for him to be on the hill.  This limited our opportunity, and it was only at 7.00pm the night before the walk that we communicated via email and decided to go for it.  This gave little if any time to invite others, so there were just the two of us.

We met in Caersŵs at 6.30am, an early start as Aled had a prior commitment and wanted to get home by mid to late afternoon.  Having left his car in Caersŵs I then drove south toward the Elan valley and the minor road that culminates at the dam beside the Claerwen Reservoir.  As Aled wanted to visit two P10 subs beyond Esgair Garthen I dropped him off on the lower road, he then headed up the stream valley of the Afon Arban, leaving me to drive up on the higher road and park at the far side of the dam.  This enabled me to take my time on the ridge leading to the summit and for Aled to join me after he’d visited the two sub hills.

When I got out of my car it was decidedly chilly, although there wasn’t even a wisp of breeze.  I soon had my winter gloves, ear warmer and balaclava on as well as my winter walking wellies just in case any bog was encountered.

Leaving the car I had a sense of anticipation, as 19½ years is a long time for anyone to wait until completing a list.  From the far side of the dam a gate gave access to a track which according to the map contoured up and formed a path on the grassland heading all the way to the summit.  Nowadays many of the higher ridges amongst the Elenydd have quad bike tracks on them, which eases passage through what would no doubt be rough and energy sapping terrain, and the track beyond the gate was one of these as it swung up on to the hill and continued following the broad ridge. 

A misted scene across the Claerwen Reservoir dam

As I walked up the initial part of the ridge early morning mist hugged adjacent hillsides and meandered across the water in the reservoir.  It gave a welcoming ethereal atmosphere to proceedings, a quietness that pervaded the hill.  As I slowly made my way up the quad bike track frost predominated with each delicate blade of grass encrusted in whiteness.  It was incredibly still, with just the occasional movement of sheep as they scurried across the hillside.  Otherwise it was just me and the hill, a lovely place to find oneself on such a morning. 

The Claerwen dam can just be seen through the mist in the background

The eastern ridge of Esgair Garthen is long by Welsh standards and stretches for three miles from the dam to its summit.  It comprises two or three small rises before its highest point is reached, with the dips between forming any bog on the upper hill.  Thankfully this morning any bog was still frozen as I made steady progress toward my goal. 

Sunrise

As I reached the upper plateau I looked south across the intervening stream valley to see if I could spot Aled making progress up toward his first sub hill.  I never spotted him, although I looked on numerous occasions. 

Such a still morning with only the occasional movement of sheep breaking an otherwise tranquil scene

By now I could see the summit of Esgair Garthen, still a relatively long distance away.  There was a patch of green grass leading up toward its highest point and thankfully there were signs of the quad bike track forever continuing through the partly frozen grassland.  This track proved a godsend and gave comfort as the underfoot going on many of the Elenydd hills can be torturous without the convenience of such things. 

Looking across toward the summit of Esgair Garthen on the right

Nearing the summit of Esgair Garthen which is on the left of this photo

Aled had a much longer route to the summit than me, and prior to him setting off I’d estimated my arrival between 10.00am – 10.30am.  I took my time over the last mile or so as I suspected I would arrive before him and I wanted to savour the last few minutes toward the top and keep my energy levels intact for the descent. 

Part of the Claerwen Reservoir

Nearing the top I was aware that I had begun to smile and savoured the last few steps to the highest point of the hill.  I stood on top and looked around, in all directions blue sky dominated with wild broad ridged hills stretching off in all directions.  It had taken a long time to get here, not just this morning’s steady 2½ hour plod to the summit, but all those intervening years and different hills since first setting out to complete this list.

I soon got the Trimble out to check the summit grid co-ordinates Aled had produced from LIDAR analysis against those on the screen of the equipment.  Where I had originally stopped was within a couple of metres of the LIDAR high point, I rummaged around in the moor grass for what I deemed the highest solid piece of ground and set the Trimble up on my rucksack, noted the offset between its internal antenna and the ground at its base, waited for the 0.1m accuracy level to be attained before data should be logged, and once this figure appeared on the screen I pressed ‘Log’ and left it quietly beeping away gathering individual datum points as I continued on the track toward a point where I looked down on a grassy bank and the connecting bwlch of the hill beyond.  It would be from this direction that Aled would appear, but even though I scanned the opposing ridge line I still couldn’t see him. 

Gathering data at the summit of Esgair Garthen

Leaving the Trimble to gather over ten minutes of data I basked in the luxury of completion; standing, smiling and reminiscing; thinking of all those times on the hill in the company of good friends whilst investigating these P15s.  It proved an excellent decision to compile the list and start bagging the remainder of hills in it.

By now high cloud had appeared and this chilled proceedings for 40 minutes or so until it was quickly replaced by more unadulterated blue sky, what a day to finish on!  It was perfect.

45 minutes after I arrived on the summit Aled appeared, he’d done well considering the route chosen and the terrain he had gone through.  He congratulated me and we both headed toward the summit.  Soon afterward he produced a celebratory mince pie and started blowing in to what turned out to be a giant green balloon, which I thought hilarious and then I spent many minutes standing on the summit, arms outstretched in celebratory mode holding it up to the sky. 

Aled appearing after his tough route to the top of Esgair Garthen

We remained on top together for about 30 minutes with Aled conducting an interview via video asking me about the list and hills; a thoughtful exercise and one that I will no doubt gain more appreciation from in future years. 

Celebrating on the summit of Esgair Garthen, my 630th and final Welsh Highland P15

Our route down was easy; follow the quad bike track all the way back to the dam.  On the way down, I occasionally stopped and looked back, remembering the same view on my ascent.  By now the ground had defrosted and that welcome hardness of early morning meant that the dips between those slight rises and the bog therein were now to be avoided, but none of it was too bad.

On our way down the hill a number of quad bikes appeared on the skyline and with the near barking of dogs it signalled farmers were probably trying to flush out a fox.  One of the quad bikes stopped as I jokingly hung out a thumb for a lift down the hill, we chatted for a few minutes before they sped off again. 

Nearing the end of an extremely fulfilling day

Nearing the car we realised that we could make the chippie in Rhaeadr Gwy before it closed at 2.00pm.  This gave extra incentive to get down.  Rounding the last bend just before the car I stopped and looked back over the water to the rising bulk of Esgair Garthen and took a couple of photographs.  It proved a perfect hill to finish on and we made it in time for those chips, which also proved a good way to end an excellent day. 

 

Survey Result:

 

Esgair Garthen                          

Summit Height:  508.1m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SN 82531 64276 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Bwlch Height:  485.35m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SN 82330 63914 (LIDAR)

Drop:  22.7m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  4.47% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

 

 

For further details please consult the Trimble Survey Spreadsheet

 

  

No comments: