Monday 18 April 2022

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Mynydd Twr


27.02.22  Ynys Llanddwyn (SH 383 626) and Ynys Llanddwyn (SH 388 629, previously Trimbled) 

Ynys Llanddwyn (SH 388 629)

I have been fortunate to visit Ynys Llanddwyn on two previous occasions.  On both the weather was blissful with blue skies dominating.  The island has left a lasting impression with me; simply put it is one of the most magical places I have visited in Wales.  Today the weather was again glorious with stunning blue skies and a brisk late winter breeze.

My first visit to this island was also the last walk I ever did with my Mum, so this place holds sentimental value for me.  The second was with my brother; Bryn, and the walk today was again with him.  We approached the island across the dunes and extensive sandy beach having parked at the end of the toll road.

Even though it was the end of February the car park was almost full with many people on the beach, mainly walking north toward the island with a few scattered on the sands heading south.  Looking back to our south-east the beach extended in a great sweep with the background dominated by the highest mountains of Eryri, which today were on grand display silhouetted in light grey hue piecing the sky. 

The grey silhouetted bulk of Yr Wyddfa

We had no definite plans on visiting the island, although I had brought the Trimble just in case.  Our destination and length of walk was dependent upon my brother and if wonky knee.  There was no pressure from me, I would have been content just walking on the sands and therefore I left the length of our walk to Bryn.

Bryn had already commented that he would do well even to reach the spit of sand that connects this island to the main part of Ynys Môn.  When we arrived here we walked down a small channel of sand between rocks to another great sweep of sand on the opposite side and admired the view further north.

From here it was only a short walk to the start of the main path that heads across the island.  Again, we had no plan to continue, but as Bryn did so, I happily followed.  I smiled when he started on the main path and commented that his knee must be feeling good.

Once on the main path we continued past the high point of the island, which I planned on visiting on our way back.  We left the main path to visit the remains of the small Church dedicated to St Dwynwen and continued toward the cross commemorating St Dwynwen; the Welsh patron saint of lovers.  This is the point that is listed as our preferred summit in the list of The Huws – 100 great Welsh hills under 2,000ft.  On my two previous visits to the island I had investigated most of the high points dotted around its beautiful domain, but I had not, until today visited this particular point. 

The cross commemorating St Dwynwen

Once beside the cross I quickly assessed the lay of land and placed the Trimble on my rucksack with its internal antenna aligned to what I judged to be the highest rock at the base of the cross.  Five minutes of data were collected, during which Bryn sat on a near bench looking out to sea. 

Gathering data the the summit of the listed Huw

After packing the equipment away we bi-passed the path and steps leading up to the Lighthouse and continued toward the remains of what looks like a windmill on the southerly tip of the island.  From here the Lighthouse stands out framed by a small sanded beach. 

The Lighthouse

Standing on the southerly tip we could now look northward across to our inward route with another beautiful sanded beach just below.  This is one of a number of stunning small beaches that are dotted around this part of the island, all look inviting and I imagine all would be places to rest and relax during the summer months. 

Just one of many small beaches dotted around the island

One of many kite surfers enjoying the conditions

On our way back I visited the high point of the island whilst Bryn continued on the main path, I caught up with him on the sands.  From here it was only a short walk back to my awaiting car.  This was my third time to this island and each, in turn, has been a magical experience.  I would recommend anyone to visit. 

 

Survey Result: 

 

Ynys Llanddwyn 

Summit Height:  20.2m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 38579 62639 (Trimble GeoXH 6000) (summit relocation confirmed)

Bwlch Height:  11.69m (LIDAR)      

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 38736 62748 (LIDAR)

Drop:  8.6m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  42.43% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

  

 

 

Ynys Llanddwyn 

Summit Height:  21.8m (LIDAR)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 38841 62953 (from previous Trimble GeoXH 6000 survey and LIDAR)

Bwlch Height:  1.5m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 39107 63441 & SH 39099 63431 (LIDAR)

Drop:  20.3m (LIDAR) (Double Sub-Twmpau addition)

Dominance:  93.16% (LIDAR)

 

 

 

For details on the survey of Ynys Llanddwyn (SH 388 629)


For further details please consult the Trimble Survey Spreadsheet

 

 

  

No comments: