Friday 28 April 2017

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Y Berwyn


04.04.17  Moel Feliarth (SH 993 117)

Moel Feliarth (SH 993 117)

Moel Feliarth stands immediately above and to the north of the small community of Foel, which is positioned beside the A 458 road as it heads west from Welshpool.  It is an unassuming small hill tucked away from the road with sheep grazing land predominating.  Today it was bathed in sunshine and I decided to visit and Trimble it after attending a friend’s Mother’s funeral in the near-by Llangadfan.

The hill is encircled on three sides by a green track which is designated a public footpath, however when I approached the first access point to it I was met by fallen tree branches and a mass of brambles, I made a hasty retreat and hoped that easier access could be found further through the village.

Once on the green track it led northward toward the area of the hill’s bwlch, this proved expansive on the valley to valley traverse and consisted of a closely cropped field with a number of inquisitive sheep as I approached what I considered to be the critical point for Trimble placement.

Heading up the green track

On the western side of the area of the bwlch is an attractive pool not shown on Ordnance Survey maps, before choosing the spot to set the Trimble up I assessed the lay of land from a number of directions, and once the equipment was gathering data I stood back and relaxed in the quiet scene and hoped that the sheep that were now seemingly ignoring me and the Trimble would do so for at least the next five minutes of allotted data collection.

Gathering data at the critical bwlch of Moel Feliarth

Once data were stored I packed the Trimble away and headed through a gate and up next to a fence to the high point of the hill.  This is given as ground by a three way fence junction, with this junction positioned on an old hedge bank in the GPS entries on Hill Bagging.  Although ground on the old hedge bank was the highest on the hill I decided that this was man-made and concentrated my efforts on land to the immediate north and then south of it.

The ten figure grid reference given in the GPS entries on Hill Bagging indicate that the summit is just north of this old hedge bank, that is of course dependent upon the hedge bank being dismissed as not being a natural part of the hill.  I set the Trimble up on what I judged to be the highest point of this land just to the north of the fence and waited for the equipment to attain its 0.1m accuracy before data should be logged.  This took a good ten minutes as it was positioned directly under an overhanging tree.

Gathering data on the north side of the summit fence

During the waiting process for the equipment to attain its accuracy level and then to gather data I inspected the land to the south of the fence and decided that this looked higher.  Once five minutes of data were stored I headed to the south side of the summit fence and crouched down and assessed the lay of land, one or two firm mole hills vied for the high point and I judged ground close to two of these to be the high point on this side of the fence and also for that of the hill.

Gathering data at the summit of Moel Feliarth

I duly gathered another five minute data set and then headed down the southern slopes of the hill to find the footpath leading over the last field toward the narrow lane I had used on my ascent.  It had been a good small walk, albeit a teense chilly in the late afternoon on top waiting for the Trimble to do its stuff when propped on top of my rucksack which is often used as an improvised tripod, and which had my fleece coat neatly wrapped up inside of it.


Survey Result:



Summit Height:  259.8m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 99345 11749

Bwlch Height:  225.0m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 99330 11944

Drop:  34.7m (200m Twmpau status confirmed)

Dominance:  13.37% 

 







No comments: