Sunday 19 September 2021

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Cilfaesty

 

14.07.21  Cold Weston (SO 141 907) 

LIDAR image of Cold Weston (SO 141 907)

Cold Weston; a name derived from the Tithe map, is similar to many hills of comparable height with its upper field used for pasture.  Many such hills are not dramatic in nature, but they are well worth visiting and if time permits, also exploring, as they usually have a quiet ambiance with many affording excellent views, and this hill was no exception.  However, one difference being is that the local farmer accompanied me to the summit of this hill and helped find its high point in the long summer grass. 

I contemplated approaching this hill on a public footpath from the north-west but decided to drive up the access track to Weston farm to ask permission to park and visit the high point of the hill.  The farm is positioned just below the summit to its south. 

This hill was the fourth of a planned seven during the morning and early afternoon, as I wanted to leave the hills before conditions became too warm and driving to just below the summit was a good way to shorten this particular walk. 

Prior to visiting this hill I had analysed it via LIDAR and build up contours until a single point gave its summit position.  Its bwlch is not yet covered by LIDAR, therefore for listing purposes its bwlch height, at the present, is reliant upon a 237m spot height that appears on the Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 Landranger map. 

My day’s route was taking me from just east of Kerry, winding its way back and forth across the intervening A489 road and ending on Trehafren Hill (SO 100 910), which is positioned in Newtown.  I had only previously visited the last planned hill, so all others were new to me, and even though these hills are relatively small in height it is the exploration and investigation that I enjoy and this is enhanced when visiting new ground. 

As I left the main road I turned right on to a minor lane and then immediately right again on the gravelled track leading to Weston farm.  I had only driven a few metres up the track before I spotted a tractor in the adjacent field cutting silage; I stopped and waved over to it.  I was soon in conversation with Edward Jones who kindly gave permission to park at his farm to visit the hill, before leaving he asked if I could call at the farm house as his wife may wonder what I was doing. 

Donna Jones of Weston farm

I continued up the track and soon parked in the farm yard.  As I left my car, Donna; Edward’s wife, was walking down toward me, I waved and we chatted for a number of minutes.  I explained what I hoped to do and she said ‘follow me’ and away we went past the farm house to a gate giving access up a field to another gate, beyond which was the upper field where the summit is situated. 

It’s only on occasion that I end up on a summit with a local farmer and such an opportunity is one to relish.  I stood on top with Donna with the two of us assessing the summit area of the hill for its highest point before I placed the Trimble atop my rucksack to gather data. 

Gathering data at the summit of Cold Weston

During data collection we stood below the equipment chatting away about all manner of things.  Once allotted data were gathered and stored I closed the equipment down and took a few photographs of Donna on the summit beside the Trimble. 

Donna Jones at the summit of Cold Weston

The view from the top took in the whole of Newtown and down the Severn Valley to the Breiddin close to Welshpool and the higher hills to the west.  It was a wonderful summit to stand on and talk with the local farmer, the opportunity to do so doesn’t occur very often, but when it does it is always welcome. 

 

Survey Result: 

 

Cold Weston (significant name change)

Summit Height:  306.0m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SO 14188 90749 (Trimble GeoXH 6000)  

Bwlch Height:  237m (spot height)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SO 13525 90858 (spot height)

Drop:  69m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and spot height bwlch)

Dominance:  22.54% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and spot height bwlch)

 

 

For further details please consult the Trimble Survey Spreadsheet

 

 

 

 

No comments: