Thursday 26 April 2018

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Beacon Hill



26.03.18  High Vinnalls (SO 477 724)

High Vinnalls (SO 477 724)

High Vinnalls is positioned on the Shropshire – Herefordshire border and its summit commands extensive views.  Surrounding the summit is the Mortimer Forest with this and the hill owned by the Forestry Commission.  The forest is named after the Marcher Lords family of Mortimer’s and nowadays has a number of marked trails leading toward its high point.  The summit used to be decorated with an unsightly wooden tower whose remains are still on the rough grass in a small fenced compound adjacent to the highest part of the hill.

I approached from the north having parked my car in the Forestry Commission car park, as I clambered out in to luxuriant early spring sunshine I struck up conversation with a woman who was just setting out walking her dog.  After explaining what I planned to do she kindly offered to show me the way, so once I had my boots on I joined her on the forest track that led toward a narrow track leading uphill.

The woman’s name was Shirley and she lived locally, it seems High Vinnalls is a popular place for dog walkers as we soon met one of Shirley’s friends walking his dog, and I came across a number of others during the 65 minutes on the hill.

Although the morning’s sunshine gave an appealing edge to proceedings the chilled air meant that I quickly put a thin pair of gloves on.  The forest path cut across another track as it steadily made progress ever higher, and Shirley and her dog headed down one of the tracks near the summit after pointing me toward the forest clearing and path which would take me to the high point of the hill, I thanked her for her company and helping me with directions as we parted.

Shirley kindly guided me toward the summit

I was soon on top and found the high point close to a bench beside the fenced compound on rough ground and bramble.  Once the Trimble was positioned on my rucksack and the offset measured between its internal antenna and the ground at its base I stood back and waited for it to collect its allotted data.

Gathering data at the summit of High Vinnalls

Thankfully the summit area is free of trees and gives extensive views, my eyes were drawn toward the Clee Hills and their highest point; Brown Clee Hill, which was my next surveying objective.

Brown Clee Hill from High Vinnalls

The Trimble set-up position at the summit of High Vinnalls

The morning was so subline that instead of the customary five minutes of data I waited for the Trimble to collect ten, during which I admired the view and let my thoughts wander.  Once 600 datum points were gathered I packed the Trimble away and headed down my inward route.  Next stop Brown Clee Hill. 
   

Survey Result:


High Vinnalls

Summit Height:  376.4m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SO 47791 72403

Drop:  249m

Dominance:  66.25%







No comments: