Wednesday 15 January 2020

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Pumlumon


21.10.19  Cefn Coch (SH 815 025), Cefn Coch (SH 824 026) and Fron Goch (SH 822 013)  

Cefn Coch (SH 815 025)

The Tarennydd looked wonderful from my vantage point.  I was on a green track leading toward a part of Glyndŵr’s Way and they floated majestically across the intervening valley bathed in autumnal light.  To their north the great bulk of Cadair Idris battled with deep grey morning cloud, as I gained height their ridges became more distinct as the cloud ebbed upward.  Dull browned bracken and greened pasture intermingled with the peaceful morning and with some of the first autumnal colour this saturated my senses and my slow plod uphill left a smile across my face.

Tarren Hendre and Tarren y Gesail

The Tarennydd

The greened track would in time lead me toward the summit of Cefn Coch.  I had parked up valley from the small community of Abercegir and walked back down the road to gain the start of the track which gained height and then contoured round the upper western part of Cefn Coch.  As the track veered eastward and gained more height the remains of Gader-goch nestled in a dip against the hill.  Old trees would have given a semblance of protection from incoming storms; they now looked down upon the abandoned ruin.

The abandoned ruin of Gader-goch

Beyond Gader-goch the summit of Cefn Coch was framed between tree tops with a fence line heading uphill to its high point.  This consisted of a grassed knoll with a rocky rib a few metres away also vying for the summit position of this hill; both were surveyed.

The summit of Cefn Coch gives extensive views and today they were sublime.  As the Trimble gathered data I looked out as white flecked sheep sprinkled themselves on high grazing pasture as the conically shaped profile of Aran Fawddwy dominated the distant view.  Across the intervening valley of the Nant Cegir, the profile of Fron Goch gently reared up with emerald greened pasture leading upward to its ancient hill fort, which is on common land.

Cadair Idris


Gathering data at the summit of Cefn Coch (SH 815 025)

After packing the Trimble away I walked beside the fence line as it followed the broad ridge toward another summit, which I also wanted to survey for potential 200m Sub-Twmpau status.  Older maps give these two summits as a part of the larger hill known as Cefn Coch, and I hoped to call at any farm I passed on route to either substantiate this name or find contemporary names for these hills.

As I approached the connecting bwlch a slight rise meant two positions vied for its critical point and therefore two surveys were required.  Setting the Trimble up for the first survey the hum of a quad bike and the distant running of a sheep dog meant that a farmer was on the hill, and I hoped to get their attention if they came in to view.  As I assessed the lay of land for the second survey the quad bike appeared and I waved and sauntered down to meet the farmer as he sped up toward me.  Dewi Pugh farms these hills from Berllan-deg but lives in Cwm Cywarch under Aran Fawddwy and as I explained my interest in the names of the hills we were joined by his colleague; when he arrived he looked at me and said ‘we’ve met before’.  And so we had 15 months ago at the bwlch between another Cefn Coch and the hill locals know as Seven Valleys.  We chatted for quite some time before they sped off and I headed up to the flattish summit for the fifth survey of the day.

Dewi Pugh

Gathering data at the summit of Cefn Coch (SH 824 026)

Once data were gathered and stored I again followed the fence line to a gate which led down to a greened track and the valley below.  The descent gave stunning views across to Fron Goch, which rose bathed in tranquil light with its manicured grazing fields shining almost iridescent like against a silvered sky and the gentled grey of distant hills.

Fron Goch (SH 822 013)

The greened track brought me down to the minor road which makes its way eastward from Abercegir to Commins Coch.  Joining the road I walked up its left branch to a gate which gave access in to the field to the south of the road, this is where the bwlch connecting to the higher of the two Cefn Coch hills is situated.

The ten figure grid reference produced by 5m contouring on the OS Maps website led me toward its critical point.  I spent about thirty minutes in the field gathering three data sets, all on the hill to hill traverse.  During this I happily stood and waited for data to be stored and luxuriated in autumnal warmth as high grey cloud accentuated the colour.

Gathering data at the bwlch of Cefn Coch

Leaving the field I called at Tŷ-nant before the next uphill road section.  Nobody answered my front door knock, but a very friendly farm cat purred its way in to my affection.  As I plodded up the minor road, resting frequently, a woman came down to meet me.  Marian Fox lives at Tŷ-nant and we talked about the hills and she confirmed the cynefin name given to their grazing land.  It was good to meet Marian as I needed a rest having not been on a hill for over three months the morning’s exertions were beginning to take their toll.

The minor road led up to Darowen which is a small community consisting of a few quiet houses and a church.  It is also where the bwlch for my next hill; Fron Goch is positioned and maps indicated the critical point to be squeezed between houses on a track or pathway leading toward a right of way which I hoped to find that would take me toward the summit of the hill.  The track and the point where I wanted to survey was enclosed from all directions and I eventually used a wheelie bin as a makeshift tripod to give the Trimble elevation above its immediate surrounds, having asked two workmen if I could do so.  As the Trimble beeped away gathering its individual datum points I sat and rested.

Gather data at the bwlch of From Goch, and my first wheelie bin survey!

Having wheeled the full and rather heavy wheelie bin back to its pre-survey position I headed uphill using a series of gates leading toward the summit of my last hill of the day; Fron Goch.  By now I was resting at each gate, which gave time to take in my surrounds.  The sun bathed morning had been replaced by high cloud which accentuated any sunlight and away to my north-east a dulled subtle colouring transfixed me.  I took a series of photos and then continued upward.

Subtle sunlight on autumnal colour

The upper part of Fron Goch is common land and the people who gave me any form of name for this hill just referred to it as the common.  Its upper part is encircled by an ancient hill fort which Coflein reports has ramparts up to six metres in thickness and up to 1.2m in external height and the land it takes in measures 100 metres by 45 metres approximately.

It was good to be on its summit, it had looked out toward me from earlier in the day, aloof-like across the Nant Cegir like an unobtainable goal.  As the Trimble gathered its tenth and last data set of the day I stood below the summit and waited. 

Gathering data at the summit of Fron Goch


The summit of Fron Goch

It was now time to head down and the broad western ridge soon brought me to a gauged out track which lost height easily to the farm of Nantygaseg.  On the way the profile of Cefn Coch rose above bronzed bracken and yellowed patches of gorse. 

Cefn Coch (SH 815 025) with Cadair Idris beyond

I was met at Nantygaseg by Andy Jones, within a couple of minutes I was sitting on a bench on his patio with a mug of tea and biscuits.  I needed both.  Although living in the adjoining and renovated old stables, it was Andy’s wife and father-in-law who were the farmers and unfortunately both were out.  However, it was a pleasure meeting Andy and the tea and biscuits were very welcome; diolch yn fawr iawn.



Survey Result:



Cefn Coch
  
Summit Height:  285.4m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 81561 02572

Bwlch Height:  144.8m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 83439 02474

Drop:  140.6m

Dominance:  49.26%





Cefn Coch
  
Summit Height:  271.7m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 82461 02684

Bwlch Height:  252.5m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 82288 02836

Drop:  19.3m

Dominance:  7.09%





Fron Goch 
 
Summit Height:  289.1m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SH 82209 01354

Bwlch Height:  185.4m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SH 82934 01778

Drop:  103.7m

Dominance:  35.88%










No comments: