Friday 19 February 2021

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Elenydd

 

22.10.20  Banc Cwmnewydion (SN 718 749) 

Banc Cwmnewydion (SN 718 749)

Banc Cwmnewydion was the last of seven hills I visited during the day.  It had stared back at me from Penpegws (SN 702 755) earlier in the day, as it also did so from Pen Felin Wynt (SN 725 759).  It looked a good hill to finish my day’s exploits on.  Last hills are somewhat of a blessing, but they also signal an ending, which can be on occasion anticlimactic.  Today, I was content with what I had done, and although I had sufficient time to visit more hills I had decided that this would be my last before the 17 day Covid-19 lockdown restrictions came in to force in Wales.  I had explored this area in depth over the last few weeks, visiting the majority of its P30s, and it was now time to enjoy this last hill, savour its surrounds and head back home. 

Prior to visiting I’d examined its numerical details via LIDAR and produced ten figure grid references and heights for both its summit and bwlch.  Today I just wanted to visit its summit and gather Trimble data from where I deemed its natural high point lay, the LIDAR for the bwlch would suffice. 

LIDAR image of Banc Cwmnewydion

Banc Cwmnewydion rises above the southern shore of Llyn Frongoch, and this lake frames the hill from its north.  I parked beside its southern shore and walked the short distance on the continuation of the narrow lane that winds its way around the southern outskirts of the lake.  The land hereabouts is attractively quiet, with few vehicles and houses, it lends itself to a leisurely pace of life, and today I enjoyed this aspect and quietly went about my hill bagging in an unrushed way. 

The narrow lane soon bisects and I veered right to where a public footpath gains a track that eventually leads to the farm of Gwarllyn.  I soon left the track and followed a fence that strode up the eastern flank of the hill in a straight line until the summit ridge was reached.  I stopped occasionally on the ascent, looking out across the picturesque surrounds of the lake. 

By the time I reached the summit the sun highlighted the land and picked out detail on the small rocky rib that constitutes the high point.  I stood and savoured the scene.  I spent a few minutes assessing the lay of land for Trimble placement, and once the equipment was set-up gathering data, I stood below the summit, noted all necessary detail in my notebook and just enjoyed where I was and what I was doing.  Simple pleasures can sometimes be the best. 

Gathering data at the summit of Banc Cwmnewydion

Once the allotted data were gathered and stored, I closed the equipment down, took a few photos, packed it away and looked out to the hills I had visited and eventually turned away from the high point and retraced my steps back to the car. 

It had been a good day with seven hills visited in all, six of these being P30s and one being a sub.  I’d been on the go since 8.05am and it was just past 3.00pm when I arrived back at my car.  Still sufficient time for a couple more hills, but I was more than content with the day’s endeavours and felt this a fitting time to stop, head home and hunker down to write a multitude of articles and process all outstanding data, and the seventeen day Welsh Covid-19 lock down should give time aplenty to do this. 

 

Survey Result: 

 

Banc Cwmnewydion (significant name change)  

Summit Height:  343.3m (converted to OSGM15, Trimble GeoXH 6000)

Summit Grid Reference:  SN 71839 74977 (Trimble GeoXH 6000) 

Bwlch Height:  306.0m (LIDAR)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SN 71791 76371 (LIDAR)

Drop:  37.3m (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

Dominance:  10.87% (Trimble GeoXH 6000 summit and LIDAR bwlch)

 

 

For further details please consult the Trimble Survey Spreadsheet

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: