Tuesday 8 November 2022

On Location with Elliot Windmill

 

 

Introduction:

In March 2020 I received an email from Elliot Windmill.  Elliot introduced himself and explained that he ran a website concentrating on travel, life and adventure.  He had recently come across the Dull Men of Great Britain book and this, as it has with many others, intrigued him. 

Elliot wanted to meet me, as he did others who appeared in this book.  He sent me a link to his site and the introductory article he had written.  This partly concentrated on mundane habits he had formed over many years and how these played out in his life.  These had similarities to many of the unusual hobbies of those Dull Men portrayed in the book.  However, although these activities, both his and those in the book could be viewed as slightly eccentric (to put it mildly for some, myself included), they are also something to celebrate and as Elliot rightly says in his introductory article; although we would like to think life is full of wonder and excitement, it is in the norm, rather predictive and routine. 

Just as we were arranging a day to meet, Covid-19 struck and the world as we knew it changed in a matter of days. 

When restrictions were lifted and life got back to a semblance of normality, Elliot picked up our email thread and we arranged to meet in late September. 

 

Dull Men Philosophy: 

Part of the joy of operating the Mapping Mountains site are the enquiries from people who show interest in either what the site offers or in this instance, me.  Although this sounds slightly ego-centric, it was a specific interest Elliot had and that was to examine the motivations of people who appear in the Dull Men of Great Britain book. 

Dull Men of Great Britain in all their glory

When originally contacted by Leland Carlson; the instigator behind all things Dull, and invited to appear in his book, I realised this was an opportunity not to miss and encouraged my ex-surveying colleagues to think likewise, stressing the point that one never knows what opportunity may arise out of unexpected contacts.  This philosophy also applied to Elliot.

Whether such a philosophy can be described as dull, I do not know, actually, probably not.  However, I take pride in my Dullness and wear it as a badge of honour.  Therefore, there was only one thing to do; meet Elliot and bore him rigid with all manner of numerical nonsense whilst intricately weaving my way through a minefield of surveying anecdotes! 

 

Meeting, talking and visiting Maesgwastad: 

When Elliot arrived and after the customary handshake and getting-to- know-you chat, I drove the short distance to Christ Church Cemetery and parked.  This would give access to a part of Powis Park and Maesgwastad; a field rising above the Church giving open views across Welshpool and the Severn Valley to the Breiddin hills beyond. 

Elliot Windmill

I’d come prepared with the Trimble, its small tripod and external antenna, thinking these were essential props for our discourse.  In fact, they were secondary, with only the Trimble making an appearance toward the end of our time on top of Maesgwastad. 

The Trimble GeoXH 6000

As we left the car and headed down to the gate giving access to the field, Elliot and I talked, this continued up the field and for the next hour or so on the top.  Not surprisingly it was the person and not necessarily their survey equipment that interested Elliot.

The majority of conversation concentrated on the beginnings and motives that led me to the activity of surveying hills.  I’ve always thought the appearance in the Dull Men of Great Britain book a bonus, as to me the activity of surveying a hill is everything other than dull.  However, perhaps this is one of the factors at play; lack of recognition!

We talked about the different categories of hobbies included in the book, from the wacky and weird to the unusual and different.  Although I’d love to be a part of the former I think I’m more a part of the latter.  The conversation flowed, much too much of it for me to remember all but tiny segments.  We could of course, have stayed indoors and had a similar conversation, but I’d suggested somewhere close with elevation as this at least is the environment where I operate in, therefore all this was conducted on top of Maesgwastad with the town of Welshpool and the Breiddin hills as backdrop. 

Our backdrop from the top of Maesgwastad

After an hour or so we headed down to the car and I then drove the short distance to The Raven where a table for two had been reserved for Sunday lunch.  Thankfully for our walk to Maesgwastad the weather was sublime with morning sunshine adding slight warmth whilst mature trees showed the first signs of colour change.  We sat outside for our meal and continued our conversation, with the weather remaining dry and becalmed.

We parted with another handshake, with Elliot saying that when his article was written he would send the text for me to go through.  This I appreciated and waved him off as he headed home.

After he’d left I headed in to my bungalow, made a large mug of tea, turned my laptop on and prepared to do the usual.  Such routine has comfort.  However, it’s good to meet different people who have their own motivations and philosophies.  This challenges the reassured daily routine and can take you out of your comfort zone, which is usually a good thing.  Today was such a day. 

 

Myrddyn Phillips (November 2022)

No comments: