Thursday 15 June 2023

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Pumlumon


03.05.23  Craig Yspio (SN 780 831) 

Craig Yspio (SN 780 831)

Yesterday (02.05.23) I received an email from Aled saying; There’s another one!  You are going to laugh when you guess where it is!  This related to an addition to our Welsh Highlands – Uchafion Cymru list.  My first guess was a hill in the Tywi forest, an area we had just visited.  I was wrong, I asked for a clue and with the aid of one of Aled’s photographs I guessed it was positioned close to Foel Wyddon; a hill we had visited ten days ago.  I was right, and yes, I laughed.  The thought that we had visited Foel Wyddon purposely for me to bag one of my few remaining Welsh Highland P15s, and only a few days later Aled goes and finds another qualifying hill next to it, made me smile with partial delight, but also a little resignation.  The hill in question is named Craig Yspio, and it looked as if it was dramatically positioned high above the A44 road as it winds its way westward from its high point at Eisteddfa Gurig.

Thankfully the weather forecast was set fine for the 2nd and the following day.  I contemplated visiting the hill later the same day, but decided to visit early the following morning.  Leaving Welshpool the skies were radiant blue with a slight chilled early morning feel, they remained clear of cloud as I drove past Newtown and toward Llanidloes.  Beyond as the road headed up toward Eisteddfa Gurig a huge grey and murky cloud bank had descended upon the hills, I thought I should have visited the previous day.  Approaching the top of the road I pulled in to a lay-by and closed my eyes, opening one every ten minutes or so to see if the cloud bank had risen.  Slowly the hill ridge I was keeping my eye on appeared out of the gloom.  After thirty minutes of quiet contemplation it was time to park at Eisteddfa Gurig and put my walking boots on.

I followed the same track out of the farm yard that Aled and I had used a few days ago as we made our way up toward the gate giving access to the higher slopes of Foel Wyddon.  As I gained height I stopped and turned and looked down on the adjacent house next to the farm as it nestled against the hill side, as a glimmer of silvered colour stretched across the lower sky with the continuing murk now above. 

Looking back down the inward track

By the time I reached the gate giving access to Foel Wyddon the murk had dissipated and blue sky then remained with me for the rest of the walk.  However, there was a chill as a breeze whisked across the land, so much so I had my spring fleece on, hood up and winter gloves on giving warmth to my hands.

I left the track at the gate and once on the other side contoured the connecting bwlch with Foel Wyddon around to its right.  Land hereabouts would quickly loose height to its south, so having found a good sheep path I remained high whilst contouring around the hill side to eventually connect with the fence line where felled forestry cast an undignified outlook on the other side.  The decimation of the felled forestry was at utter odds with the beauty of the adjacent hill side, one an imposition where gauged water laden channels and remains of tree stumps gave an ugliness which was unwelcoming, whilst the grassland of its adjacent hill side rolled downward in a comforting perspective with views that were now opening up westward toward the coast. 

Looking toward Craig Yspio from close to the connecting bwlch of Foel Wyddon

Craig Yspio soon stared back at me from the end of the ridge I was descending.  The Ordnance Survey map indicates a public footpath on this ridge and this is a delight to walk, it keeps close to the ridge crest with ever expanding views southward until the newly crowned Welsh Highland P15 of Craig Yspio rears upward.

I was soon on its summit, which is crowned by a small patch of green grass.  Once the Trimble was set up to gather its allotted data I scampered off below the height of its internal antenna so as not to disturb satellite reception.  Once five minutes of data were gathered and stored I closed the equipment down, took a few photographs and packed it away. 

The Trimble GeoXH 6000 set-up position at the summit of Craig Yspio

Retracing my route down the upper hill to its bwlch I headed straight for where, by eye, I judged the critical point to be positioned.  Once there I checked the ten figure grid reference Aled had produced via LIDAR and happy with the placement I again set the equipment to gather data.  During data collection I stood a distance away and scribbled all necessary details in my surveying notebook, whilst looking up and admiring the higher ridge of Drum Peithnant to the north. 

The Trimble GeoXH 6000 gathering data at the bwlch of Craig Yspio

Drum Peithnant

Leaving the bwlch I decided to follow the footpath up beside the fence line to where the track I had ascended ends.  Although only a short section this would at least give me more new ground to walk on, something that I have always enjoyed.  I gained height relatively easy, which for me these days was a surprise. 

Back on the track heading down to Eisteddfa Gurig

Having reached the end of the track I headed right down over moor grass to the continuation of the track as it heads down to Eisteddfa Gurig.  Once back in the farm yard I chatted with the farmer for a few minutes, one of our conversation pieces was rewilding which he raised.  I joked and asked if he fancied having wolves on his land, he laughed and especially so when I mentioned that he could try and train them to round the sheep up.  It had been a good morning on the hill with another Welsh Highland P15 visited, just a few more to go until completion!

 

Survey Result:

 

Craig Yspio

Summit Height:  517.7m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SN 78042 83130

Bwlch Height:  502.4m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SN 78099 83176

Drop:  15.3m (Welsh Highland P15 addition)

Dominance:  2.96%

 

 

For further details please consult the Trimble Survey Spreadsheet

 

 

 

 

  

No comments: