Friday 8 June 2018

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Beacon Hill


26.04.18  Burrow (SO 381 830)

The two tops of Burrow (SO 381 830) from the south-west

Burrow is one of many ancient Iron Age hill forts found in Shropshire close to the Welsh border, it has four sets of ramparts and ditches and three entrances, it is positioned above the small village of Hopesay which is a quiet and tranquil place, and on the day I visited April showers were massing to the west and skimming the land as they pushed eastward.

Before visiting the summit I wanted to acquaint myself with its col and take a data set from its critical point, this is positioned to the north of Hopesay close to the River Onny, prior to the survey I’d driven a Google car down the lane to the north, unfortunately this did not show what I envisaged to be the field where the critical col lay.

I parked just up the lane from the col in a car park adjoined to the Church, and as it was relatively early and no one seemed to be wandering the hamlet I thought it would be OK to leave my car here for 40 minutes or so.

Walking down the lane I branched right on to a track which heads south, the col was now on my right.  Whilst doing so I activated the Trimble to log on to satellites as the quicker I did the col survey the better as its position was indeed in a field and two near houses would have full view of me wandering round trying to pinpoint its critical point.

I’d analysed this col via LIDAR, however this did not initially help as I knew its critical point was close to a fence and a bend in the track, I chose the wrong fence and proceeded to walk in a large circle through a number of adjoined fields reading the grid reference in the Trimble as I went, eventually I zeroed in on the critical point which was only a few metres from the track that I’d been on ten minutes or so earlier.

Gathering data at the critical col of Burrow

As the Trimble gathered data I stood back and happily took a few photos and listened to the still background noise of occasional birdsong and the slow ebb of country life, a luxuriating experience if ever there is one.

The Trimble set-up position at the critical col of Burrow

Once the allotted data were stored I closed the Trimble down, packed it away and quietly exited the field and walked back to my car and drove the short distance south to Hopesay, where a woman from the Rectory kindly directed me to the most convenient place to park, and proceeded to give me directions to the top of Burrow, saying that the track leaving the hamlet opens to a field where an old gate is positioned at its top left, she also said that it would be a steep pull up the field.

Leaving my car I walked past the Rectory and St Mary’s Church, which was bathed in morning sunshine looking resplendent with yellowed Daffodils adding colour to the foreground. 

St Mary's Church in Hopesay

The track proved a little muddy in places but when it opened out to the field the land became greened and alpine like with conifers shooting skyward, hedged fields mellowed in spring growth, and a stillness that seemed to pervade the land, a tranquil beauty where if things were going to happen they were going to happen at a very leisurely and undisturbed pace.

Looking down on the track leading to the first steep field

The higher Shropshire hills poked above the horizon as I gained height up the field, the old gate led to a sheep path that led to another gate which opened to another steep field, I spotted a foot stile of sorts pinned to a fence but decided to access the conifer plantation which swamps much of this hill through two further gates.

The higher Shropshire hills

Entering the conifer plantation a track led south around the eastern and upper part of the hill and deposited me at an entrance gate to the ancient earthen fortifications which climbed toward two high points, each positioned on an impressive ancient embankment.

The two tops of Burrow from the north-east

I visited the southerly of these two tops first and positioned the Trimble atop my rucksack, took an offset measurement between its internal antenna and the ground at its base and waited for it to achieve the 0.1m accuracy level before data should be logged, and then waited a further five minutes for the allotted data to be gathered and stored.

Gathering data at the first top

During this waiting period a cooling breeze blew and shower clouds quickly massed out to the west, these were more noticeable from the northerly top as the view opened up, and Wales was definitely pushing its weather eastward in to Shropshire and its hills, as it has done so for millennia.

One of the ancient embankments with shower clouds massing to the west

The Trimble was soon set up and gathering data on the second top and I watched as showers gradually massed and pushed down near valleys and across near hills, thankfully all that headed my way was the occasion breeze blown rain drop, I was standing on the periphery of what would be a quick soaking if only I was a couple of miles further north.

Gathering data at the second top

Once the second summit data set were stored I followed one of the embankments down to the access gate and retraced my route down the hill and back to my car.   



Survey Result:


Burrow

Summit Height:  358.2m (converted to OSGM15)

Summit Grid Reference:  SO 38112 83083

Col Height:  170.2m (converted to OSGM15)

Col Grid Reference:  SO 37852 87600

Drop:  188.0m

Dominance:  52.48%






No comments: