Wednesday 14 November 2018

Mapping Mountains – Trimble Surveys – Cymoedd Gwent


21.08.18  Cefn yr Ystrad (SO 086 137 [only bwlch surveyed SO 052 172])

The bwlch of Cefn yr Ystrad (summit at SO 088 136, bwlch at SO 052 172)

With an 8.00am appointment with Channel 5 News who was filming from the summit of Fan y Big later in the day, I set off early from my home and crested the minor road that heads west from the Talybont Reservoir and parked close to its tarmacked edge.

The weather forecast predicted glimmers of sunshine later in the day, but at this hour cloud and mist stubbornly hung to the higher summits.  The top of this minor road is also the critical bwlch for Cefn yr Ystrad, which amongst other listings is classified as a Marilyn and Nuttall, and therefore as I was passing over it, and if time permitted I wanted to survey its critical point.

When I pulled up in my car there was an ethereal feel to the place as mist hung above, cutting out all extended views, the only thing that moved was an occasional sheep, these were dew drenched with their coats silken in moisture.

I’d come prepared with a ten figure grid reference for the critical point from LIDAR analysis conducted by Aled Williams, and soon zeroed in to this point, which was placed in a bed of reed grass with gauged out tyre marks from no doubt a farm vehicle that had passed this way.

Time dictated that I could take a ten minute data set, and this is what I did, standing away from the equipment as it beeped away collecting its 600 individual datum points. 

Gathering data at the critical bwlch of Cefn yr Ystrad

By the time I approached the Trimble to close it down 11 minutes of data were gathered and stored, and as I headed back to my car it was still only 7.25am, and this gave me plenty of time to drive the short distance down the continuation of the minor road to the right hand turn leading toward the Upper Neuadd Reservoir and the car park where I was meeting the crew from Channel 5 News.



Survey Result:


Cefn yr Ystrad

Summit Height:  617.4m (converted to OSGM15) (from subsequent Trimble survey)

Summit Grid Reference:  SO 08696 13729 (from subsequent Trimble survey) (summit relocation confirmed)

Bwlch Height:  439.9m (converted to OSGM15)

Bwlch Grid Reference:  SO 05261 17241

Drop:  177.5m

Dominance:  28.75%










No comments: